Gas in a Glass

Jesse was bored out of his mind. After living as long as he had, it got harder and harder for him to entertain himself. He'd been to so many wondrous places and done such incredible things, that a calm day at his house wasn't enough to keep him entertained. He was sprawled out on the couch and mindlessly flipped through the channels, finally settling with My Strange Addiction. He watched with a bored expression, not really paying attention and using it more so for background noise.

"And I'm addicted to drinking gasoline." That sure did grab his interest, and he sat up straight on the couch.

"B-but, that'll kill you..." he muttered to himself. The girl on the tv took a swig from a portable gas jug, and Jesse found he was laughing despite how he knew what she was doing was bad. His laughter increased when the doctor started telling her all the bad things that drinking gasoline would do to a person. He wasn't a bad person, he just really enjoyed dark humor.

"You have sores in your mouth from all the fucking gas you drink!" he yelled at the tv, running his fingers through his hair. He settled back into the couch with a heavy sigh, content with his channel surf findings. He let his mid wander for a bit before he came a a great revelation: he should drink gasoline. I mean, how bad could it really be if she'd been doing it for years and was still alive? And it's not like he could die, so there would literally be zero consequences if he had a sip. And it just so happened that there was a gas station a few blocks away.

Thankfully it was mostly empty. He parked at the farthest pump and looked around to make sure no one was watching. He took the nozzle and put it in his mouth so that it wouldn't spill to much. He pumped the gas, and the liquid instantly filled his mouth, some of it spewed out from his lips and dribbled down his chin as he turned it off. He swallowed, smacking his lips, the taste lingering in his mouth. Tangy. A little sour. Maybe a hint of something sweet, but definitely not bad. He shrugged his shoulders, taking his tumbler out from the cup holder and filled it up with gas. Hey, if that lady could do it, why couldn't he? It's not like he'd guzzle the stuff down every chance he got, but maybe every once in a while when he had nothing else to do or was feeling down. He needed to always be doing something a little dangerous in order to feel alive, and while it certainly wasn't as thrilling as sneaking inside a pyramid, drinking gas was just dangerous enough to a regular person that he felt better about his eternal life.

He got back in his car and drove back home, the rest of the day uneventful. About four days later, he got a text from Miles. That wasn't unusual in and of itself, but the context of said message was. It was a picture, a little grainy but still pretty clear, of him drinking straight from the pump. Underneath the picture, his brother asked, "Care to explain??"

His answer was quick and deliberate. "No..."

"Well you're finally a meme now, so I'm having a great time," he then sent a few pictures that had text over Jesse's chest and more on the gas pump. His favorite was where he was labeled "me" and the gas nozzle was marked as "unnecessary self deprecating memes."

He couldn't believe that out of all the crazy shit he's done, this is what he'll be known for? He shook his head with a chuckle, and poured himself a glass from the distinct red jug.