CHAPTER FIVE: Suits

WEDNESDAY NIGHT WAS MARLA'S first night working at La Bonne Nuit.

     Her work pants sat above her belly button, so she ended up tucking in her white button-down. She added a black ribbon around her neck and then she was ready to rock and roll.

     The speakeasy was pretty packed tonight, and Marla was rightfully nervous. She would be serving all these important-looking people and it didn't help that they all looked intimidating, either. It was like a mob mix 'n' mingle.

"Who are these guys?" Marla asked Reggie. She'd ask Veronica but Veronica was among the expensive three-piece suits. "Some of Veronica's dad's business pals," he answered. "Probably here talking money or something."

"Oh, miss," a guy said in a sing-song tone, waving an empty glass over his head as he called Marla over. "Hi, what can I get you?" She plastered on her best smile since it was her first night and she didn't want to already do a bad job. "I'll have another scotch with a little bit of salt in it, please." He handed her his empty glass.

     "But this is a brandy glass," Marla pointed out. "Who puts scotch in a brandy glass? Excuse me." She went back to the bar and handed the glass to Reggie. "Guy over in the gray suit wants another scotch. And would it kill you to put it in the right glass, please?"

     "You know the difference between which glass to use? I've been making drinks all night and no one seems to be complaining," Reggie countered. "Grandpa was an alcoholic," Marla deadpanned, "and don't change the subject. The drinks are stronger this go round so they won't notice the improper drinking etiquette. But I'm noticing and it's wigging me out."

     "So which one's the scotch glass?" Reggie looked at all of the different glasses and then to Marla. "The glass that looks like your everyday OJ glass except fancier." Marla pointed to the stout, cylindrical glass with the fancy ridges cut into it. "That one. Now pour about one-fourth of the scotch into the glass and add a pinch of salt."

     Reggie did what she told him and handed her the drink. "Atta boy." Marla threw him a playful wink and went to go deliver the drink. "Here you go. Scotch with a tiny bit of salt," she greeted, presenting the drink and setting it down in front of him. "In the right glass this time."

     "What's your name kid?" he asked. "Marla," she responded. He smiled and pulled out his wallet to give her a twenty dollar bill. "You got moxie."

     "Why, thank you." Marla gave a playful curtsy and gratefully took the twenty from before going to serve another customer. She made her way around the tables, filling orders, and occasionally making the drink herself because Reggie was being a tad too slow. "Marla, they love you!" Veronica congratulated her, then squinted her eyebrows when she saw where Marla was standing. "What are you doing behind the bar? Reggie's supposed to bartend."

     "I know I'm already stepping out of line but I got impatient and homeboy over here was going too slow," Marla explained before setting down the sixth drink onto her tray she made in record time. Hoisting the tray onto her shoulder, she smiled at them before making her way around the speakeasy, passing drinks left and right. "She's a natural," Veronica said, in awe. "We should have her work casino night. This place is gonna be crazy loaded and we need someone snappy."

"Snappy for what?" Marla set her tray down and looked at the two of them. "You're gonna be working on casino night. I'm gonna need someone who's fast-paced and knows their stuff, and my God, you've got it!" said Veronica. "Casino night?" Marla raised her eyebrows. "Oh wow. Who knew I'd see the day where I can legally walk into a casino?"

Veronica raised her brows, but Reggie knew where this was going. "Grandpa was an alcoholic and a gambler," Marla explained in a what a shocker! tone. "Family went to Vegas one time and he snuck me in. Which reminds me: are you guys gonna have craps? Because I've come to learn that I'm really not good at that game."

"No craps. How good are you at poker?"

"Oh, sweetie. I can play poker blindly with my hands tied."

Once everything wound down and the bar was clean, it was quitting time for Marla.

"I say that tonight was a hit. Josie added a really nice touch with the song choices." She nodded her head in approval. "All because of you, Mars Bar." Reggie clapped her on the shoulder and ruffled her hair like she was one of the guys. "Agh! Reggie!" she whined. "I'm gonna have to wash my hair now."

"Which is a good idea because I need you guys to look spick and span for casino night. I'm having a family rival over and I need to be at my best or it's gonna take a turn for the worst," Veronica ordered. "Now go home, Marla. I can take it from here."

"Thanks, Ronnie." Marla smiled before heading up the stairs for home. She didn't even reach the diner's doors (her hand was on the "push" thing) when her phone rang Nancy Drew's theme song. "Hey, Bets. What's up?" she greeted.

"I think my mom joined a cult."