Chapter 1 - My Kindness

Alright, writing about a mystical creature is something I rarely did.

And as far as I know, I'm not that good with this kind of genre all due to my almost none existing imagination.

But I want to try something different and get out of my comfort zone. So here I am publishing a merman's story.

And as everyone knows, it's a merman's love story. Just, this work of mine aren't full of twisted plot and shocking facts.

Expect the cliche and perhaps some illogical logic with some sparks of irritating moments.

Enjoy and happy reading. 😁

-

-

-

-

You know, I kinda would be able to understand if I were to see a crocodile in the pet shop down the street near my apartment complex, as weird as it might sound. That pet shop always offered the rarest and oddest pets.

But I just couldn't understand it, couldn't comprehend it, when that old owner actually put up a merman for sale. And even more peculiar was the fact that not even a single person found it weird.

I mean, it was just so fucking weird!

Imagine jogging happily around the neighborhood one day, and just when you stopped for a good coffee at your favorite coffee house, you see a merman. A fucking real merman just across the street on display.

Well that happened to me.

I was on the urge of sending myself off to the mental institution, when the kind old man who owned the pet shop motioned me to come over. He was just opening the shop for the day.

Walking over to him, I fixed my eyes on the merman that seemed to be asleep in a glass tank that seemed to be a bit small for his comfort. I bet the old man just threw him in anything he could find.

"Haven't seen you in weeks lass, where have you been?"

The old man, Uncle John, laughingly asked. We'd known each other for a few years now, since I started living there in college and up till now that I had began my career as a full-time writer.

He'd been the kindest and considerate neighbor ever, if you just ignore his tendency to fill up his stock of pets with the weirdest things. He once tried to sell a sheep that he placed among the parked bicycle.

"I had some events in LA, remember?"

I swore I'd told him about this already. And he was pretty much aware of my activities as a quite an infamous writer nowadays.

As if he just remembered, Uncle John enthusiastically nodded. We made some small talk over the things I did in LA, which pretty much just consisted of signings events and fan meetings to promote my newest book.

At the same time of hearing him telling me the details of his journey in the countryside the other day, I was very conscious of the thing in the glass tank.

Sometimes, my eyes started to wonder, only to find the people who walked around here doesn't even spare a single glance over.

Some of them who'd stop only looked at the sleeping merman for a mere seconds before started walking away as if it was completely normal for a pet shop to sell a merman.

Following the woman in a work-out attire that briefly stopped to look over the puppies placed just beside the glass tank with my eyes, I then clutched my head.