Chapter 8 - Name

It had been two days since the merman came back to my place completely naked. And for the last two days, I had been doing everything in my power to convince him to find some other place to stay.

Perhaps, to make him go back to Uncle John since he was the one who'd picked him up. Or if the merman didn't like him due to the peculiar treatment he received, he could just get lost to somewhere else for all I care.

It was alright if he wanted to stay with humans, but couldn't he find someone else to freeloading from? I wasn't that rich to adopt an oversized pet and certainly wasn't interested to raise a merman now. Well at least not yet.

At first, to try and make him leave, I tried hinting it through words. Since he could speak now, I thought he should be able to understand if we talk face to face nicely.

"You see, me as a mere humble writer, my monthly income is really low compared to others. Even as I lived alone, I could barely covered the living expenses. So um...what I'm trying to say is, that measly remaining amount of money left could barely covered for my meals."

So having you here would doom me into poverty. Honestly, you should really leave. But these sentences were left out of my coaxing words, and I hoped that he could understand.

We were having lunch, or actually, he was. And I was standing right beside him, serving him somewhat without realizing it in an attempt to appease the devil.

But, unexpectedly, he was just a muscle head merman that only knew how to demand for foods. My mouth almost bubbles from the frustration when he suddenly asked me to pour him some juice.

Seeing my expression, there was a visible smirk on his now healthy and glowing face. He noticed what I was trying to say yet he had no desire to acknowledge it and just utterly disregarded it.

"Kiddo, listen to me, we-"

"I have a name."

I tried to talk again, but he cut me off and stated firmly. Well, true, of course he had a name. It just that I hadn't bothered to know up till now for I thought, that he'd be gone soon anyways.

But I didn't know that he minds it, and his angry look just further proven that he didn't like it when I called him names. Welp, who cares.

Yea, I didn't care, but the merman seemed to know what I was thinking as he shot me a glare. A clear warning in them that showed me that I should take this no lightly than his stock of fish. 😒

"I'll listen to what you have to say if you knows my name. And maybe... granted you a wish."

The merman casually said. He then raised to walk away but was stopped as I grabbed his somewhat still thin arm.

"But you never told me before?!"

Damn. Now I regretted not listening to him when he tried to introduce himself the other day! If I did, I would have the chance to chase him out.

"Try to look for it. Perhaps my name is saved somewhere in that little head of yours."

With a smile that was not a smile, he then walked to the guest room that he now claimed as his own, leaving me dumbfounded by his smartass mouth.

Darn. Maybe I should consider restrict what he watch on TV. No wonder parents often felt troubled by this problem.🤤

.

.

.

.

I was left alone in the living room, sitting silently on my white fluffy sofa. Sometimes, sounds from the TV that the merman was watching drifted to my ears.

This was hard. Harder than the tests I took in highschool.🤤

How could I find his name when I really didn't listen to whatever it was that he blabbered yesterday. I couldn't possibly find an answer to something I'd never heard of before.

Perhaps, I ought to go to the police and report this?

But what should I say? That a merman was now living with me and he refused to leave? Or just fake it and say that some perverted bastard bursted into my house, since he, well, could be considered perverted with how he always refused to wear clothes.

But I... I was the one who bought him from Uncle John. My conscience wouldn't allow me to just force him into jail, plus, the thought of the merman being locked up somehow, doesn't feels right for me.

As annoying as he was, the merman was still young. And he was staying here in the human world, away from his family. I just couldn't find it in me to let him be.

Furthermore, with how that kid's minds work, he most probably would turn back to his original form just to annoy me the moment I try to report him.

And well, since I knew that everyone around us seemed to just saw the merman as a normal fish, if I truly drag him to the police, wouldn't I be send to the mental institution then? 🙁

And the charming me would be known as a woman who tried to put my pet fish in the jail for the rest of my life. Hell, that tittle was too heavy to my liking. 😟

My baby brother would definitely happily disown me once that happens. 😒

Well, that was how I wasted my whole evening, pondering over tons of possibilities just to send the devil away, completely not noticing the piercing gaze from the opened bedroom door behind me.

-

-

-

-

Please vote, comment and follow for more...😌💜