Chapter one

Megan

"Alright Lucy look at that you're all done." I said sticking a hot pink band aid on her arm. "See that wasn't that bad, right?" I tickled her lightly while she giggled on her moms lap. "No I guess it wasn't that bad, only you can make getting a shot not hurt." The 6 year old smiled up at me. "Since you were the best patient I've had all day I think I might have a treat for you." Her eyes got big as she started bouncing on her moms lap. "Lollipops??" She practically shrieked. I laughed "they're right up there by my desk go help yourself. She jumped down and headed over to the candy jar.

"Thank you so much Megan, you literally make coming to the doctors bearable." Lucy's mom laughed while grabbing her stuff. "No problem at all Angie, Lucy always puts a smile on my face." She smiled "you're a true saint, I don't know how you have the patience to do this all day, just Lucy alone makes me want to lock myself in a bathroom with any bottle of hard liquor, most days." I laughed as we walked to the front of the doctors office. "Well you guys have a good day, I'll see you both on Lucy's next visit." I gave Lucy a smile as they walked out the door.

I gave out a sigh and lowered myself to my desk chair. I may not show it, but today was rough. I was a nurse for a pediatric doctors office in down town Chicago. Not only was today busy, but three people called out. I was in way over my head.

I heard my phone ringing from my bag. I wasn't really in the mood for a conversation right now so I let it go to voicemail. Silence eloped me, it was nice to just catch my breathe. I sighed when I heard my phone ringing again. I grabbed my purse and dug through it.

I saw who was calling and I let out a groan. I loved my uncle dearly, don't get me wrong, but I do not like the man if that makes any sense.

Truly I owed the man my life. He took me in when my parents died when I was 11. I had to move to Russia because that's where my uncle lives. He didn't have any kids of his own so when I moved in he was like a leech, taking over every aspect of my life from what I ate to what I wore. He even picked all my classes and extra curricular activities.

When I got my acceptance letter from Chicago state university I jumped at the opportunity to get away. My uncle was less than impressed with my school choice and my career path, he lets me know every time I talk to him. He's a huge lawyer over in Russia, he wanted me to follow in his footsteps, but becoming a lawyer just didn't feel right. My dream was to help children and that's what I do.

"Uncle Ivan, hello how are you?" I answered the phone rubbing my temples. "Megan this is my third time calling, why didn't you pick up?" He barked. "You know I'm working right now. It's been a very hectic day, is everything okay?" I asked. "Yes, of course, why wouldn't it be? I can't give my favorite niece a call to see how she's doing?" I relaxed a little, he didn't seem like he was in a bad mood so that was good. "I'm your only niece, but yes of course you can call whenever you want." He let out a sigh "Megan I just wanted to let you know that I'm in the middle of a very big case right now. I'm trying to put some very dangerous men behind bars so I need you to be careful." I rolled my eyes.

"You're always putting very dangerous men away, I know how it works." I heard him shuffling things around. "This is different Megan, just keep yourself safe promise me."

"I promise I will, I always do." He let out a laugh "that you do my little flower, that you do." I saw some more people walking into the office. "Uncle Ivan I have to get back to work I'll talk to you later." I hung up the phone before he could say anything else.