Part V

Friday morning found Jo working on one of her website designs for a new client. She also sent a couple of e-mails to her friends to let them know that she was ok, but didn't know when she was going to be able to return. By mid-morning, Beth was awake and more rested.

-"Hey sweet pea, did you eat breakfast already?"-She asked knowing what her girl was going to say in reply.

-"I'm not hungry and you, sleepy head, do you want your breakfast now?"- She asked lovingly.

-"I won't eat a bite until you eat with me."- Beth was sure that her daughter hadn't eaten anything since the day before and she wasn't going to allow her girl to starve because of her.

-"So, what will it be, stretch?"-The old woman looked at the younger one with a defiant expression.

-"That's blackmail, old lady, you can't do that to me, I'm your daughter!"- Jo played along with her mom.

-"Oh yes I can; go and find something to eat with me and I'll let them know that I'm ready for breakfast."- Beth said, authoritatively.

The defeated young woman took her wallet and left the room without another word. She was playing the 'offended' one, but Beth knew better, it was an old game between them.

Beth's breakfast consisted of a high calorie, high vitamin shake and Jo's a pack of mini chocolate chips cookies and a quart of milk. They didn't touch the subject of the night before instead, they spent the day talking about simple things and getting reacquainted with each other. Jo helped her mother clean herself in bed and changed her pajamas for the new ones she had brought from Dallas.

When Beth reluctantly agreed to take a power nap, Jo took a shower and changed clothes. This made her feel more human and she decided to go for a walk. She found Jay in the nurses' station talking with a doctor, she guessed, -"Oh Jay, you never change my friend. Who can that guy be?"  She thought as she walked towards the engrossed pair.

- "Hi." The gentleman said as he noticed Jo approaching them.

-"Hello"- Was the only reply from Jo.

-"Hey Jo I was going to see Beth, when I found him here. Let me introduce you to my friend, Dr. Tom Garret, he is Beth's doctor."-

Jo was more alert, now that she knew who he was and wanted to ask him a couple of questions. –"Nice to meet you Doctor, I was wondering who was in charge of her case because I have some questions."- Jo said, in a serious matter.

-"Nice to meet you as well Miss Marshall. I was going to see your mother at this very moment and after you give me a minute or two alone with her, I'll be ready to answer all the questions you have." The doctor smiled.

-"Ok I'll be waiting here."- Jo said, and turned around to look out the window. She needed to prepare for what she knew was coming.

Fran arrived home just time in to see Sam's Corvette speeding down the street.

"There he goes again, and he calls me immature." She thought as she entered her home.

"This is the last time I come here from work, next Monday I'll be living at my place again." Fran had thought a lot that day; the events with Jane had raised many deep, hidden memories and once more, she found herself thinking of her dark haired friend. "Why did you leave Jo? I miss you so much." She made a decision that day; and went to her attorney to file for divorce.

There wasn't any sense in continuing to live with someone she never sees. Now she was going to pack the things she wanted to take with her, and move back to her parent's home. They have given it to her when her dad retired and moved up north with her mom. "I'm going to be living next to Jo's house again, it's going to be weird without her there, like it's been weird these three years without her. That house has been closed for a while; maybe tomorrow after I'm settled I'll go there and clean a bit."