Untitled Part 7

Chapter seven

                                                                                         What The

Nine o'clock that evening the call came through from Emily. "Hi John" she said, "It's been a long time, your  E mail sounds very serious"

"Yes, it has been too long" he replied, "Great to hear your voice again after all these years, now I know this will sound strange , but did you finish your degree in Marine Biology?

"It is a strange question" answered Emily, "as you have just contacted me at the Miami Aquarium where I am head of research, why do you ask?

"Well" said John "I have something to show you , I don't want to discuss it over the phone, is it possible you could drive to Como I think you would find it well worth the trip"

"I'm intrigued" she replied" I have a day off tomorrow and yes I will come and see you, life is dull here I could do with some excitement, I should arrive around noon"

"That's great Emily, you won't be disappointed" said John, trying to hide the childish buzz he was feeling.

The following morning at 11. 30 pm Emily's car pulled into the drive. John was as excited as Lidia when she first met Gil. he greeted her with a hug that said, "I loved you fifteen years ago and you never even knew" My God she is still as beautiful, was his first impression. "Come in, come in" said John, trying to keep his composure, "this is my daughter Lidia" he mumbled, noticing that there was no wedding ring.

"Hi Lidia, really nice to meet you" said Emily, "This is a lovely home you have John, and the Village looks amazing, what do you do here, did you finish you're Teaching course?

"Yes I did, I took some time off to travel, met my wife, settled in Como, opened a fishing equipment store, had Lidia, got divorced, but all of that is for another time" he answered."

"My goodness" said Emily, "fifteen years in five minutes, now why have you asked me here, it sounds so mysterious"

"I think you had better sit down" said John, "and please keep an open mind.

He explained everything that he knew in around thirty minutes. This was followed by a short silence and eventually Emily spoke. "I left Miami at 6 am this morning, drove 250 miles to be told that you have a half human, half dolphin boy, I don't think so. But let us suppose that it is true" she went on, "why on earth has no one but yourself and Lidia seen this Dolphin boy in the past eight years?

"I have no idea but it is true"answered John sheepishly.

"Lidia stepped in, "My Father is telling the truth Emily" she said, "cross my heart"

"Well I believe you over your Father Lidia" said Emily, "he was always up to mischief when we were at college, now can I see your Dolphin Boy?

"Yes of course you can" said John confidently, "that is after all why you are here"

They walked along the foot path from the harbour leading to the small cove which housed the entrance to the cave. Lidia splashed the water with her hand for around fifteen minutes before deciding that Gil and the Pod of Dolphins were too far out to sea and they should try later. This brought  an unconvinced smile to Emily's face, but as they made their way out of the cave there was a movement in the water, and up popped Smiler waving her head and squeaking frantically, before turning and heading back out to sea.