Chapter 10: Rising Tensions

Even though the war was over, anger still raged, as Russians fought over territory. The land was never truly marked, but huge walls, over twenty foot tall were erected nearby. They were tall and black, with graffiti coating it. At the top, sat huge metal fences, that seemed to be electrified. The walls seemed to stretch for miles and miles.
"We need to get to Nottingham." Said Elijah. "Its the biggest place and there will be easy methods of getting around. We can look for a base there."
"Elijah, we will jead to Nottingham, but at the minute we are in the weat coast of Wales. We need to get a train or something."
"There is a train that runs through here." Said James. "It's a graveyard train, for transporting bodies of fallen warriors. It runs..." He took out his phone, and placed it on the ground. He paced towards a manhole cover, and said: "Right through here." He returned to his phone, and I got a quick glance of him and Mason, cuddling as his phone background. I smiled, and James went as red as the blood that stained the ground.
"Well?" I said. "What are we waiting for? Down the hole for the next train." I stepped closer to the hole, and saw that you need a metal bar ti open it. Luckily, there was an old TV aerial nearby, so I bent the corner to a small curve. I pulled on the heavy metal sheet and it rose, revealing a single, tight crawl space.
"Here goes nothing." Said Amelia as she clambered down the rusted ladder. Next was Mason. Then James who held his breath the whole was down. Then came Ava. Then Emma Then Elijah. Kayleigh followed suite. I was the last down the dingy hole, so I left the metal rod above for any one else who wanted to get to a place.
In the underground tunnel, there was a single light, that had been smashed. There was a single candle holder, with a near melted candle in it. The other side there were pipes, that stretched between one side of the country to the other. The light was provided by James's phone. I took a packet of matches that I picked up at the weapon station.
"No!" Said Mason. "Do Not light that."
"Why?" I asked.
"Those pipes could be methane. They will blow up if you light that."
I put the matches back into my pocket and thanked him. At that moment, i glanced upon the metal rails that were below me. The wooden planks between them were rotted, but the rails were warm.
"Trains still run here." I said, with confidence. "We need to find a space where there is a bigger gap between the tracks and the sides." I took James' phone and shone the torch down the tunnel. There was a small indent in the side of the tunnel. I told the group to wait, and I went to check the clearing, and there was an old abandoned train cabin sat on the side of the rail.
"Its safe!" I called, and the words echoed from one side to the other. We headed to the cabin, and sat near it. "Elijah, you can start the listen for the train. Go and stand near the track. Put a foot or hand on it, and if it vibrates prepare to get on." We all sat next to the cabin and Elijah stood at the rails. We all stayed quiet we all got closer to eachother.
"Guys, its vibrating!" Said Elijah.
"Come on!" I said, grabbing everything. The train was large, but slow, so it was easy to jump on one of the empty carriages. It was a long, boring journey and the carriage smelt rancid of blood and decomposition. But after the tiring ordeal, we made it above ground, back into the grey smoke clouds. There, we saw a sign:

'Welcome to Nottingham'