5.

"Somewhere deep down there's a decent man in me, He just can't be found." - Eminem

---
Nolan.

One day mama, I'm gon' make you proud. Davion won't ever have to worry about a thing cause he gon' have it all. I miss you and I know you looking over us. I love you, Amen."

Saying another prayer, I sighed walking into my little brother Davion room where he was sound asleep sleep, then sat on his bed.

"I'm gon' give you the world, believe that. Whatever you don't have, I'm gon' make sure you got it. We gon' eat together no matter what." I said to him, pulling the covers over him.

He had school today but, he told me he wasn't feelin' good so I let him stay home today.

He was old enough now to be here by himself and I brought him his own phone whenever he needed to call or text me if i was at work or at school.

Before our mom passed, she bought an extra house just in case anything happened to her. It was hard to deal with but since he was old enough now, I figured I was gonna have to explain to him what happened to her sooner or later. He still hadn't ask.

I'm 18 going on 19 November 3rd. It's March right now. Everything is pretty much going alright right now. I have a part time job working at the 'Jewels Food' grocery store and I'm almost outta high school.

Kissing his forehead, I walked downstairs and decided to get a cover and make a pallet in his room, next to his bed.

After 5 minutes of tryin' to get comfortable, I gave up and laid there silently looking ' up at the bright baby blue and white walls, I painted for him when he was around three. He's 14 now.

It's just me and my little brother, our mom passed away after she gave birth to him. As far as my pops, he been in jail for about 5 years now.

He was there when Davion was born, he even signed the papers and everything. But, Soon after that, he was back in jail and haven't been out since I guess.

Our parents divorced when I was around 11 or 12 but they'd always find a way back to each other to where you think they're a thing.

Sike.

They both was going back and forth with one another. Everything was an argument with those two. At the time, I just didn't understand why. Then, my pops was abusive which was why I hated his damn guts.

Even though I have problems of my own, I still do whatever it takes for my little brother. He's my lil man that I'm gon' take care of for my mama and myself just cause he's still young.

I wonder how life would be, If my mama was still alive and my pops wasn't in the cell. I just have a lot to think about it.

Looking over at the clock that set on top of his dresser, It was going on 11. Sighing, dozing off, I let sleep take over.

One day, i'll make you proud ma.

Next Day

"Wake up Nolan, I have to go to school today."

Waking up, I rubbed my eyes sighing looking at Davion who was already dressed.

"Dressed yourself up huh?" I said looking over his attire.

"You know how it is." He laughed, sitting on the bed.

Shaking my head, I grabbed my phone to see if I had any notifications.

None.

"Nolan, I have a question. You don't have to answer if you don't want." He said fiddling with his twists.