chapter three.

RAELYNN'S POV

   Later, the same day, I was sent to the hospital to get a check up and make sure I was okay after what happened with the van. I just couldn't get Edward out of my head.

   My mom rushed into the E.R. and over to me. "Rae, are you okay?"

   "I'm fine, Mom. Calm down." I tried to calm her.

   "I'm so sorry, Raelynn," I heard Tyler plead from the bed behind me, so I turned to look at him. "I tried to stop."

   "It's okay, Tyler." I nodded.

   My mother looked at me. "It sure as hell is not okay."

   "Mom, it's not his fault-"

   "We almost lost you," she cut me off.

   "But you didn't," I reassured her.

   She hugged me so tight I thought my head would pop off.

   "I heard the Chief's daughter was here." Dr. Cullen walked in, nodding at my mom. His face was kind, but pale and tired. He turned to the E.R. Doctor. "I've got this one, Jackie."

   The E.R. Doctor handed Dr. Cullen the chart and exited. Dr. Cullen reviewed the chart, then felt the back of my head.

   "You have a nice knot growing back there, but your x-rays show no indication of a concussion," Dr. Cullen told me.

   "I'm so sorry, Raelynn. I'm really-" Tyler tried, but my mother sharply pulled the curtain between us.

   "It would have been a lot worse if Edward hadn't knocked me out of the way," I mumbled.

   "Edward? Your boy?" my mom asked. I had talked about Edward to her a few times.

   Dr. Cullen quickly looked back at the chart. I looked at him, confused, sensing he knew something.

   "It was amazing he got to me so fast," I beamed. "He was nowhere near me."

   "As long as you're safe," Dr. Cullen smiled.

   As we were let go, my mom and I exited the treatment area.

   "I better call Jess. She was pretty worried," I said.

   "I just have to sign some paperwork. I'll be back." She walked away, toward Dr. Cullen.

   I pulled out my phone and was about to dial, but then I looked down the hall. Rosalie was clearly furious at Edward, who stood his ground.

   "This isn't just about you, it's about all of us-" Rosalie started, but then looked at me.

   "Can I talk to you for a minute?" I quietly asked from behind the wall as Rosalie continued to glare at me. Edward nodded, approaching me. "How did you get over to me so quickly?"

   "I was standing right next to you," he responded.

   "You were next to your car... across the lot," I corrected him.

   He stepped closer to me, his smirk fading. "No, I wasn't."

   I stepped closer to him, not giving up. "Yes. You were."

   "You're confused. You hit your head," he tried.

   "I know what I saw."

   "And what, exactly, was that?" He raised his eyebrow.

   "You stopped that van." I gulped. "You pushed it away with your hand."

   "No one will believe that," Edward whispered.

   "I wasn't planning to tell anyone." I shook my head. The tension between us was thick as we were inches away from each other. "I just want to know the truth."

   "Can't you just thank me and get over it?" Edward was getting angry at this point.

   I looked down, then back at him. "Thank you."

   For a few seconds, we just stood there. Staring at each other with angry, defensive looks.

   "You're not going to let it go, are you?" Edward questioned.

   "No." I shook my head again.

   "Then I hope you enjoy disappointment." He turned on his heels and walked away.

   "Why did you even bother?" I called after him.

   He stopped, looking back at me. "I don't know." He kept walking, leaving me confused, frustratingly attracted, and determined to find out the truth.

~

*RAELYNN'S DREAM*

   I was swimming, my hair flowing weightlessly. Suddenly, something blasts past me. I quickly turned, but whatever it was, was gone. Something then blasted behind me. I spun around again, finding myself face to face with Edward. I reached for him, but he sharply sprung backward, just out of reach.

*END OF DREAM*

   I bolted awake. In that split second, in the darkness, I saw something. A manly figure standing in the corner of my bedroom. It was watching me.

   I quickly snapped the lamp light on, and the room was empty. The only person in the bedroom was me. Was I still dreaming?

~

Word Count: 748

This chapter was a little shorter, sorry!