chapter one.

~ ~ ~ 

"Yes, Peeta? I love you too Peeta..." My dream mumbled softly out of my sleepy lips.

PING! 

Peeta's face dissolved away and my senses pulled me back into reality. The sun bore down at an alarming brightness directly on my eyelids. I flipped over and pulled the pillow over my head. 

PING! 

Groaning, I flattened it around my ears. 

PING!

I groaned again before catapulting it at my laptop that sat open at my desk. 

Click.

"No one's here. Go away." I croaked, my voice muffled between the comforters. Who even FaceChat's this early in the morning?

"Well it sure sounds like you are." A husky voice loudly echoed back sending chills down my spine.

Bolting upright, I reached for my glasses that lay on my bedside. Fumbling a couple times, I managed to  jabbed my left eye in the process before finally getting  the thick frames to rest secure on my face. Wiping away my tears, I let my vision adjust to my surroundings. 

"Zo?" The voice echoed again.

Shit. Pushing out of my bed, the sheets tangled around my foot and took me down. My face smacked against the hardwood floor with a loud thud.

"Zoe?" The voice spoke again. "Jesus, Zo it sounds like you're dying over there."

Unwrapping the mess of sheets caught on my foot, I began crawling over to my computer. As I hoisted myself up and onto the chair, I threw the pillow back onto my bed and turned to stare at the face of a god.

"What attacked you last night?", his eyebrows shooting up as he took in my appearance.

A godly asshole.

My hair was bunched into a ratty bun on the top of my head and there were still obvious red marks on my face from my fight with the floor. Rubbing my eyes, I slumped back still half asleep. Stupid pillow. 

"Good morning Addy" I breathed through a yawn.

Shaking his head downward, he laughed lightly at my response. 

I've know Adrian since we were in our mothers wombs. My mother calls it fate that we were brought together. I call it, good economy. The fact that we happened to move next to another family who was expecting, was not a coincidence. But since then, we were always attached at the hip. Well untill we grew up. Sometimes things change and even though it wasn't hard to see coming, it still hurt. A lot. People were attracted to him like moths on a flame since birth, so when we entered high school, that's when things got tricky. Hormones came into play, all the girls got breasts and hips while I grew like an amazon tree and lack in both departments. So you see, when Adrian turned from cute and adorable into a totally hottie, the girls were all over him in seconds.

"It's our first day of senior year. You could at least act a little excited." he continued.

"No." I rolled my eyes skyward. "Ad, high school has always been your thing. Not mine." 

His low chuckle echoed around my room, "Whatever you say Zo, Down in five."

Sighing, I signed off and closed my laptop. 

Five minutes. To a normal girl that was impossible, to me, five minutes was plenty. Wash face, secure hair into a quick french braid,  throw on an old pullover and slipped into some jeans. Done. What more was there to do?

"Morning mom, morning dad." I called out as I burst through the kitchen door. They both sat on either side on the table, paper work in one hand, coffee in the other. Their half-closed eyes indicated they've both been up all night working. Mumbling their tired 'good morning's' at me, I couldn't help but kiss them both on the cheek before they could shoo me away. Too cute.

My little brother sat in between them concentrating on eating his Coco Puffs. Not as cute. "Good morning squirt." I teased with a rustle of his hair, before quickly stealing a spoon full of his cereal and plunging it into my mouth. His feeble protests died as I grinned down at him with my mouth full, he stuck his tongue out in response and snatched back his spoon. Swallowing, I mimicked him before turning to leave.

"Bye." I shouted, half Converse on.

"Zo! Wait." My mother's voice responded, seeming less tired then before. Hovering awkwardly between the door ways, I peaked back and saw her standing infront of her chair. 

"Yes."

"Brayden needs to be picked up after soccer practice."