Thawing a Frozen Heart

"Regina!" I heard somebody yell from across the street. I quickly turned around to find her standing there staring at me. "Emma!" I yelled as I started running towards her. She had been my closest friend for my whole life. For the past 28 years I didn't remember a single thing about our friendship. "No!" I heard another voice call. I knew exactly who it was, and I knew this wasn't going to be good. I turned around just in time to see a flash of blue magic coming toward me, but it didn't hit me. "Emma?"

Exactly 28 years ago I was standing in a large wooded area. I heard a heard a twig snap and I turned around. "Who's there?" I asked as a figure stepped into the moonlight. "It's just me, Gina. Calm down." She said. "What are you doing here? You were not supposed to follow me!" I said in a hushed tone. She stepped out of the moonlight and closer to me. "I found your note. I couldn't just stay home after reading that my best friend is planning on leaving the realm," she said worriedly.

I looked down. "You weren't supposed to see that until sunrise. Rumpelstiltskin is angry because I wouldn't learn from him." She nodded. "You were supposed to cast the dark curse, but you refused. You wrote that in the note, but what I don't understand is why you are running away." I looked back up at her. "He plans on casting the curse himself. I know I should have warned you before, but it'll be here any moment. Your only chance is to come with me. We might be able to escape." We both started running toward the barn. "Look, Emma! We're almost there!" I yelled, but she turned around. "No, we're too late," she cried as a thick green fog surrounded the land. As was standing in the fog, I could hear Rumple's voice. "You won't be getting your happy ending, Dearie!" Everything went black. All of my memories were erased and replaced with new ones.

I woke up in a light blue room, which was my bedroom. I quickly got ready for the day before making myself breakfast. I ate my eggs and bacon, and walked to the town hall. I am and have been the mayor of a very small town called Storybrooke, Maine for as long as I can remember.

Every day was the same. Go to work, and come home. Nothing interesting ever happened. 18 years later, I finally realized that even though I was living a somewhat happy life, something was missing. I didn't have any love, or anyone to love, so I drove down to the adoption agency. I was waiting patiently in the quiet office when the man walked in with a baby wrapped in blue blankets.

I gasped at the sight of such a precious little baby boy being handed to me. He must have only been a couple weeks old because he was so small, and his skin was as soft as, well, a baby. I smiled at him and I absolutely fell in love. "Hello, there. I'm going to call you Henry. You're so adorable," I said with a soft tone. I signed the last few papers before I was allowed to take him home. "Let's go home, Henry."

As Henry grew up, he was very smart, polite, and obedient. He loved school and hanging out with his friends. Reading was also one of his favorite things to do. On his 10th birthday, I decided to tell him the truth. I explained to him that, although I raised him and loved him his whole life, I was not the woman who gave birth to him. He got really upset and ran off to his room. I decided to leave him alone for the night to let him cool down, but when I went to wake him up in the morning, he was gone.

I spent hours searching and crying and wondering what I did wrong. He finally returned later that night. "Henry! Where have you been?" I asked. "I found my real mom!" he yelled and stormed off to his room. I looked up to see a tall blonde with beautiful blue eyes standing there. "You're Henry's birthmother?" I ask, as she gives me a shy smile. "Hi," she says. She looks familiar. I must find out who she is.

"How would you like the best glass of apple cider you've ever tasted?" I offer. "Got anything stronger?" she replies. I couldn't help but worrying that she would rake mu son away from me. I was wrong. We all became closer to each other as time passed by. One day, Henry had a severe allergic reaction. It was absolutely devastating. Emma and I decided to take shifts watching him at the hospital. It was her turn and I was walking across the street. A large burst of magic swept across the town and it was once again clear. The Dark Curse had been broken and all of my memories returned.

"Regina!" I heard from across the street. "Emma!" I yelled and ran to her. I heard Rumpelstiltskin yell in anger, "No! You will not get your happy ending!" I saw him use all he had left of him to throw a ball of blue ice magic at me. I braced myself be hit, but I saw Emma jump in front of me. She turned into solid ice as the magic hit her heart. Tears started to form in my eyes as I wrapped my arms around her. "No, no, please don't leave me. Emma, come back to me!" I said as everyone watched in silence. To my surprise, Emma started to thaw out. When she was back to normal, she hugged me back.

"Oh my gosh, Emma, You scared me! How did you do that?!" I ask as she wipes the tears from my face. "True Love," she replies, "it's the most powerful magic of all. It can break any curse and even thaw a frozen heart."