THIRTY THREE

offensive language warning

Paul had struggled to picture the monster standing over Fern when she had spoken about him those few times. Initially, he'd picture an old man, maybe balding with a wrinkled forehead and crow feet by his eyes. Later on Paul pictured Enzo as greasy looking, with dirty looking skin and blood on his shirt, which sported tears. Fern hadn't spoken specifically about him, but his physical appearance wasn't what he had expected. Paul had also imagined him as rough looking, crooked and rotten teeth, poorly tailored, an excuse of a human. But the man standing in the threshold of the room squashed his expectations. Lorenzo looked young, maybe in his thirties, wore a clean white dress shirt tucked into black dress pants and expensive leather shoes. His dark hair was gelled back neatly and his facial hair looked well kept. Overall he looked wealthy and powerful. Paul couldn't help the growls that left his throat as he watched Enzo advance towards Fern. She looked up at him, eyes narrowed and solemn.

"Enzo," Fern's voice was firmer than Paul expected. He was worried she would hyperventilate and break down as she had only a few months ago. He was glad she was holding her ground and found himself admiring her bravery in the face of her worst nightmare. Although, there was a part of him that felt annoyed with himself for not being able to shield her from the horrifying situation. Enzo held out his hand, the cigarette held between his fingers, offering her a puff as if that was a normal way to greet another person. Fern's eyes darted down to the cigarette with conflict. She shook her head defiantly at him. Enzo scoffed and brought the cigarette back to his lips, inhaling deeply as though it was oxygen. "What are you doing here?"

"Did you think I'd let them keep you from me, sweetie?" Even though she had heard the hoarse voice in her nightmares, the sound of it in reality made her flinch. Fern glanced over her shoulder and swept the scene once again. A quiet whimper left her lips at the sight of Sue being roughly held in place, but she forced herself to keep her face stern and hard, trying to remain strong. Leah shared a similar expression except hers was angrier and more irritated. Fern couldn't stand the sight of Paul, being held to the ground like something lethal.

"Please let them go. They've been very, very good to me, better than I deserved" Fern said, pleadingly, staring back into Enzo's lifeless eyes. She couldn't help but compare them to Paul's stunning rich brown eyes. His eyes held adventure and a twinkle that hardly existed within Enzo. Fern wasn't sure how she was going to survive without Paul by her side when Enzo took her back. This was what she was afraid was going to happen if she became emotionally attached and reliable on Paul. But she couldn't grow angry with herself because the memories with him brought her too much joy and comfort. She hadn't lost him yet.

Enzo shuffled mere inches closer to her, but it was enough to feel like a mile and now he was too close. His presences suffocated her senses and she felt short of breath. He lifted his rough hand to rest by the nape of her neck.

"I was hoping for a more...cheerful greeting, if I'm being honest," he muttered, his eyes drifting to her lips hungrily. "A kiss even?" Fern heard the grunting and struggling from behind her and glanced back to see Paul violently struggle against the men. His face was twisted into an angry scowl that made her heart falter. They grunted with effort as Paul managed to land a substantial kick to the gut of the man on his right leg. The man wheezed and fell to his knees in pain, clutching his torso in pain.