Chapter One

Steve Jackson, has always had a hard life. Beginning when he was only five, his father left with no warning. Even the night of his disappearance, they were up late watching the movie known as "Castaway". His father, whose name was Todd, left early in the morning. Before the dusk of dawn, and before the rooster cried. Only one thing was left of his. It was a note (addressed Steve) on the desk that read...

"Dear son,

I don't want you to take this personally but I just can't go on with this anymore. You will never understand the stress of having a kid like you. I can't bear it any longer. It's not me, it's you. If I ever come back, I won't be back to see you. Unless you've become a better son. I don't think any patients are left inside of me. Have a pathetic life, you remember what I say, you'll never be anything.

From,

Todd"

What hurt Steve the most was that Todd didn't even sign it "dad". It was the one thing that made him lose every last respect for the old man. But even though it caused so much pain for the young child, he kept the note. Even after his mother put it in the trash-- he kept it. Only kept it for a reason to try harder.

The poor child thought everything he said was true. And oh did it stay in his mind for his whole childhood.

Anyways, life went on for the Jacksons. After Todd left, Steve tried out for a Rookie Baseball League. He made the team for five-year-olds (it was a program that would last until they graduate, each year they move up). And Steve has one heck of an arm. The poor kid-- took out all the anger and frustration out in his fastball. Even at five years old, everyone knew he was a star in the making.

Steve also met his first real friend, Greyson Rodriguez, who also plays on the team. They grew up together and Steve was basically an addition to the Rodriguez family. It got to the point where everyone thought he was a cousin or sometimes even a brother. Which he went over there almost 24/7, but they didn't mind- they considered him an addition to the family. Even on Christmas, the Rodriguez's bought Steve presents.

What got Steve through the years was baseball and Greyson. Those two were inseparable, always together. Told each other everything. There's only one secret that Steve has kept from Greyson throughout their whole lives (it would ruin their friendship) and it is that Steve likes Greyson's sister.

Her name was Avery, and she's very pretty. Ocean blue eyes, honey color hair, and red full lips. Every guy likes her and wants to do everything with her. Luckily for Steve, she did a lot of things with them. She's been to a trampoline park, a rock climbing place, MLB games, to the beach, and the list continues. The first moment Steve realized how much he cared for her was when she got her first boyfriend, Joey. Steve was never at the house when Joey was there. It was too awkward for the poor man, and Steve didn't like the fellow at all. Lucky enough he moved to Africa to be a missionary.

After that, they started to hang out more, and then Steve got his first girlfriend. Her name was, Staci. Her catchphrase was, "Its Staci with an IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!" She would drown out the "I" sound drastically. They only lasted for about two and a half months. She broke up with him after cheating on him for a week with, John. John was a popular kid and also Steve's childhood rival (they don't compete much anymore though). Steve wasn't that sad or hurt about the breakup, it was actually good news. Fast-forward a few years and Steve's starting high school... but this is the year that could change everything.