Chapter 8: Killers and Baby-sitters

Haddonfield,

                                                                                  Halloween

Crisp, Orange leaves fell onto the dampened street. The eerie twanging of a Piano, accompanied by the tiny chimes of a Synthesizer, began to play. The camera pans across to a House as a 17 year old girl steps out the door, clutching her text Books as she begins to make her way to School. Her hair is a soft, light Brown, grown to her shoulders. Her button down outfit is made up of an Olive colored Cardigan over a dark Green Turtleneck, a long, flowered Skirt, White, knee high Socks, and Brown Shoes. Her name is Laurie Strode.

Her father comes out not too long after her, making his own way to work. He's dressed very business like in a Suit and Tie. He stops in front of his Car, brandishing a sticker advertising Strode Realty.

"Don't forget to drop the key off at the Meyers' place!" he reminds his daughter.

"I won't!" Laurie calls back over her shoulder.

"They're coming by to look at the House at 10:30!" he continues. "Be sure to leave it under the mat!"

"Promise!" she says before disappearing around the corner.

"Did you know that it was actually Spring when they filmed the movie?" John asked Lisa. "They had to buy paper leaves and paint them Orange and scatter them all around."

"Really? That must have been a pain to gather them all up and do that over and over again."

"Imagine how difficult it was to find Pumpkins."

The two teens were camped out on the Couch in the darkened Living Room, the only source of light coming from the T.V., watching - in John's words - "The film that birthed Slashers. The father of them all", the 1978 classic, Halloween. This was Lisa's first viewing. In fact, she had never really cared for the Horror genre. She thought all those movies were dumb. But now, here she was, genuinely intrigued and soaking in the tidbit facts John was spewing out like a Student frantically taking notes before the Teacher changed the slide. She even refrained from eating any of the Popcorn or drinking from one of the glasses filled with Soda that sat before them on the Coffee Table, afraid of making too much noise or getting distracted.

Back on the screen, little Tommy Doyle caught up to Laurie and excitedly asked her if they could carve Jack-O-Lanterns and watch Monster movies when she came over to baby-sit him. Only the night before had killer, Michael Meyers, escaped by Car from the Sanitarium he had been locked up in. 15 years earlier, he had stabbed his sister, Judith, to death as she sat brushing her hair in front of her Vanity, nude from the waist up. In between those 13 minutes, Lisa had already learned from John that the stabbing sounds Judith's flesh made as it was being punctured by a Knife blade was actually achieved by using the weapon on a Watermelon. And to get the Car window to break when Michael escapes, a Wrench was painted to match the color of the actor's skin and attached to his palm.

"Hey, jerk!" the character of Annie Brackett sneered at a Car passing by the 3 female leads. "Speed kills!"

The driver slammed on the breaks and came to a screeching halt at the end of the street.

"God, can't even take a joke?" Annie mumbled before the Car started up and calmly drove away.

"So that was supposed to be Michael Meyers?" Lisa asked, quizzically.

"Yeah." John said.

"Well that doesn't make any sense."

"What doesn't?"