06. Illusion

CHAPTER SIX
(illusion)

A week had elapsed, and Carlisle and Esme had finally returned home with the final members of their inner circle

A week had elapsed, and Carlisle and Esme had finally returned home with the final members of their inner circle. Though perhaps the term "friends" didn't quite accurately describe the nature of their relationship with the male.

Alistair, an English vampire with a misanthropic disposition, regarded Carlisle as his closest acquaintance, but he rarely deigned to visit more than once every century. He preferred to wander alone, consistently rejecting all forms of companionship, and it was abundantly clear to everyone that he valued his privacy greatly.

Much like Amun, he shied away from physical contact with Renesmee and opted to keep a fair distance, fearful of the potential consequences of their interaction. His natural wariness, particularly towards any form of authority, further fueled his suspicion of the Volturi. The current situation, as far as he was concerned, only served to reinforce his already prevalent fears.

Swiftly, he made his way to the attic, giving Carlisle and Esme no opportunity to fully alight from their vehicle. Esme let out an uncertain assurance, stating, "He'll come around."

"Hopefully," Carlisle echoed, diverting his attention towards Edward and Bella. He inquired, "How many have arrived, thus far?"

"Sixteen so far," Bella provided.

To which Carlisle responded with surprise, commenting, "That's quite a substantial number in such a short span of time." While he spoke softly, his satisfaction with the update was evident.

"The Denali's, The Irish and Egyptian Clans, Garett, Mary, Randall, Peter and Charlotte"

Esme mentally calculated the numbers, contemplating aloud, "That makes it fifteen—who is the last one?" Her gaze fixed on the couple before her.

Edward's face lit up with an almost childlike eagerness, and he nearly bounced on his feet as he responded, his tone smug. "It's a surprise, why don't you go and find out for yourselves?" he suggested slyly, prompting Esme and Carlisle to exchange bemused glances.

With minds racing, Esme and Carlisle searched their memories for any individuals they might have overlooked. Upon entering the house, they were taken completely off guard by the sight of Vivienne, her face adorned with a joyful smile.

Vivienne greeted them exuberantly, her voice ringing out as she sang, "Welcome home!!" Her presence caught them off guard, and they stood there, utterly astonished by her unexpected arrival.

"Vivienne," Esme murmured gently, her voice growing louder with each repetition. She swiftly enveloped her daughter in the tightest embrace she could manage. As Esme pulled away, Carlisle had already moved closer, drawing vivienne into another heartfelt embrace.

"Oh, my sweet Vivienne," Esme sighed, her voice tinged with both joy and sadness as she ran her hands over Vivienne's cheeks, caressing them tenderly. Her words were filled with relief as she continued, "You have no idea how worried we were when your contact suddenly stopped."