t h i r t y n i n e

Each endeavoring , all achieving

Looking out at the cerulean waters before her , Zolee inhaled the smell of the sea. The ocean breeze kissing her features delicately while D'Angelo slept in their king bed. He'd brought her home for their honeymoon, Antigua and Barbuda.

They were currently on Long Island commonly known as Jumby Bay occupying an Estate Suite. Life was great besides the absence of her boys. However, she couldn't deny that in the silence they'd attained , the peace that she found was rejuvenating. Moving toward the tray of food they'd been brought for dinner she stared at the tag that told her what Antiguan delicacy was before them, Fungie and pepperpot. Spices wafted into her nose as she wheeled the tray back to their bed , careful to not spill the passionfruit juice that swooshed calmly in its crystal glasses.

They'd landed only four hours ago but D'Angelo was exhausted, and she wanted to let him sleep. Spooning up some of the delicious soup and a fat chunk of meat within it she bit into one of the most delicious things she'd eaten in her life.

To think this is what her mother probably grew up on was crazy. It offered her a weird sense of intimacy she wasn't used to. She barely remembered her.

"What's that smell? Did you cook?"

Stirring D'Angelo looked over at his wife and the spoonful of meat she was shoveling into her mouth before he snuggled closer. Always one to share , Zolee offered him a spoonful of her pepperpot and waited for his reaction.

"Mmm, what's that?"

"Pepperpot, it's what they eat here and it's made of.." picking up the yellow tag again she read off the ingredients while spooning up some Fungi and feeding that to him as well "a mix of salted beef and pork with squash, okra, aubergine, spinach, pumpkin, and cornmeal dumplings."

The flavor popped in D'Angelo's mouth. For a moment he wondered if it was the food or the fact that Zolee was feeding him that made it so enjoyable.

"You like it D?"

"Yeah , I do."

Reaching over for his plate , he began to eat but he took glances at her frequently. There was something in her eyes that was almost far away. He was beginning to believe that Zolee was always in her own head. He couldn't deny that he also got trapped in his own thoughts sometimes.

She slipped out of bed easily , placing her plate back on the tray and to the side before she walked towards the beach out front. There was no one else around, just her , her husband , the waves and the trees. For a moment she swayed along with them , allowing her robe to delicately descend from her body as she trailed into the ocean. Her simple white bikini hugging and shaping every curve on her petite frame.

D'Angelo had lost his appetite or rather, he'd acquired a taste for something else. Moving his plate aside he followed her into the waves, marveled at the way she closed her eyes under the sunset and just allowed herself to exist. The sparkling of the water droplets on her shoulder stood out to him, with bated breath he watched as the little beads travelled her body in ways he wanted to. Down her shoulder to her bosom. As he creeped behind her , he followed the trail with his mouth. Wrapping his tattooed arms around her waist , he brought her flush to his body. Skin to skin she indulged in the connection. The sound of her blood surging at every nip and lick he made on her neck, collar bone, and shoulder.