Chapter 5: Base of Operations

They entered the station from a large truck, where a trench had been dug under it, a tunnel leading into a large room underground where rebels were staying. The floor was dirt, but the walls had concrete reinforcement. There was a stockpile of arms and ammo. Grenades, rocket launchers, SMGs, crossbows, shotguns, and pistols were on racks on walls, boxes of ammo near them.

Sven greeted him, along with a few of the other rebels he saw with him before.

"Glad you made it Icarus." Sven said.

Rin was somehow there, sitting in a small plastic chair by a large device powered by a generator.

"Rin? How'd you get here so quickly?"

"Oh hi. I used the teleporter from the lab to here. Things got bad back in City 17. Dr. Kleiner sent me here so I can finish work on the gravity gun. No worries though, he's got a plan. It just doesn't involve me. The gravity gun should be done before you have to go anywhere. You'll be testing it, Icarus. Good luck."

An hour passed and Rin handed him the gravity gun.

He took it.

"Alright, there are two major features. The first one is a switch on the back of the handle. In the down position the gun picks things up, the up position is to launch them. You should try it on that empty crate there. Remember, this weapon is very much a prototype, so be very careful and precise." Rin explained.

Icarus pulled the trigger with the switch in the down position. The weapon hummed, picking up the box and surrounding the box in an orange light.

"Good, now throw it forward."

Icarus flipped the switch up, pulling the trigger. The weapon hummed louder, following a bang and a flash of light. The wooden box was thrown across the room and shattered into chunks.

"It works, then. I still need to work on that throwing delay, though..." Rin remarked, taking the gravity gun back.

Some scouts entered the station, most wounded.

"There's a large number of combine soldiers coming our way! We'd better get ready!"

"Alright! Everyone, load up!"

Icarus took three SMG grenades, loading himself up on Magnum, SMG, and shotgun ammo.

Some of the rebels took the doctor and the gravity gun to a different room and closed the door off, but the others stood ready.

There was the sound of APCs pulling in near the base, a few choppers overhead. There was combine radio.

They stood silent. Icarus unslung his shotgun and put the sling on an RPG instead.

One of the choppers flew low, the sound of multiple metal objects hitting the truck. The objects began to tick, faster and faster.

"Get down!" A rebel cried out.

The objects exploded, destroying the truck. Icarus fired the shotgun into a soldier who jumped down.

He fired again into a group who rappelled into the station. The rebels took out most of the combine. A combine soldier talked into a radio.

"Contact confirmed, requesting Dispatch."

Icarus shot the soldier, the radio falling to the floor. He crushed it underfoot. Someone shot an oil drum and it blew up, setting a few rebels and combine on fire. The rebels climbed out of the station, coming out into a large combine force. The rebels stayed in the trench. There was a gunship and a hunter chopper overhead.