reminisce

"I thought ninken were supposed to be, uh, y'know-- dogs." 

"How dare you compare me to some lowly mutt! Do you know what I am?

"Yes I do, you're a goddamn cat!"

"I'm the great Madara-sama you stinky brat!"

Kakashi was ready to roll his eyes and just groan.

Sakumo held back giggles at the sight, because despite the apparent failure in summoning, his son was actually bickering with a cat, of all things.

Putting aside the fact that this cat and their usual ninja dogs probably didn't even live in the same seal dimension, Sakumo was rather... intrigued, by this strange new creature.

He wouldn't call it a cat, in all honestly. Much too round and too unnaturally furred, with a strangely large head, but perhaps the impossible was possible in this world.

"You're a fortune cat!" Kakashi snapped at the tiny furball, "go to some old lady's candy store and stare waving your hand at the doormat!"

"Who are you calling a fortune cat?!" the white thing actually pounced on the naughty brat, claws out and fur bristled, "appreciate this beautiful form of mine, you with no good taste!"

Kakashi screeched as a nasty scratch tore through his cheek. He pulled out a fistful of shuriken and kunai, growling right back, "if it's a fight you want you're getting it, you piggy cat!"

And that was it.

Sakumo burst into a fitful laughter, so ready to share this entire event to literally anyone he met tomorrow.

"Seriously, why do you keep showing up?"

"You think I'm dragged out of my comfortable afternoon nap willingly??

Today was important. They were trying to track down some dumb kid pickpocket in the street. Knowing Pakkun's nose would be essential, Rin and Obito agreed with the 'let's just rely on the dog' plan.

For once, Kakashi is the one that messes up in the mission.

"Go back! You're useless!"

"What did you say?! You summon me and I don't even get a dango as compensation for gracing you with my presence?"

"How about you try doing something so I would actually want to give you a goddamn dango! You gluttonous, piggy cat!"

"Watch your tongue, you white-haired virgin!"

Rin and Obito share a confused look. Somehow, the scene before them is so highly amusing they crack into an effortful fit of strongly suppressed laughter. 

They'd never let him live that one down. Even much after this, the two would often team up to tease the white-haired boy with the infamous cat's amazing insults.

Watching the scene from a building adjacent to them, Minato smiles fondly, because at least they're getting along better now.

Kakashi soon realized, that when his chakra was full and his health was in tip-top-shape, he would definitely summon the cat somehow. It was strange-- why did that cat, which was utterly powerless as an ally, need more chakra and focus to summon?