Prologue: Oh, Shit!

"How many minutes has it been?"

"Not even one. Courtney, relax."

I could do everything but relax.

Bridgette tries to distract me by going on about wedding plans. Her upcoming dress fitting, how irritating Geoff's mom was being because her insistence of having a big reception when the two were adamant on keeping it a low-key affair.

I offered a few noncommittal grunts and nods of the head ever so often, but my mind was still racing.

What if I was? Where would that put us?

The alarm on Bridgette's phone interrupts her rambling and my rampant thoughts.

"Do you want to look or should I?"

I shove my head in my hands, anxious at knowing the results.

I'm hoping for the results I want. The results that have been looking less likely considering all my symptoms.

"You look." I say into my palms.

A few seconds tick by. I feel sick.

She doesn't say anything, just puts her hand on my shoulder and I finally break down.

She doesn't even have to say it.

I'm pregnant.

—————————————————

"Well, Ms. Moreau, you are indeed pregnant. About 8 weeks." She smiles at me, and I try to muster up one of my own.

But I can't, maybe because of the fear that has plagued me since I took the test. What am I going to do?

I mean, I'm 23 years old. I have a steady job as a music teacher at a local elementary school. I'm living on my own, able to take care of myself and my bills.

But a baby? Not to mention, I'm not even really on talking terms with the father, as of right now.

"Look, motherhood can be scary, but it's also the biggest blessing. Make sure you start taking some prenatal vitamins and of course, call me if you have any questions or need anything."

She packs up her stuff and leaves quietly. I lay for a moment, before I collect my things and leave.

There's only one thing to do now. My hands are shaking as I leave the parking lot.

What will he say? I mean, it's not like he was some one night stand or a newer boyfriend.

Duncan and I had a long, very complicated romantic history.   What seemed like endless childhood flirting growing up, finally turned into a real relationship our junior year of high school.

He was my first kiss in the fifth grade, my first real love and of course, my first time. For a while, our relationship was perfect. We still butt heads like crazy, but it was different.

Then high school ended. I went to a college three hours away, he stayed home and started his apprenticeship.

To say it was hard, was a complete understatement. I was often flooded with classes and exams, so spending time together got difficult. We split the time evenly, alternating who drove back and forth to see whom on certain weekends.

But eventually, that kind of stopped too. Duncan was completely dedicated to perfecting his portfolio and really getting into his craft, so he could open up his own parlor.

He surprised me by telling me he had been taking business classes for months at the local community college.

I thought things were going good.