Story 2: Part I

Gaiti walked in and seaw her parents in law talking to someone, "arey Faryal tum kab ayi Faryal got up and gave her a hug "bus abhi half an hour ago

Gaiti smiled "acha, good to see you. I didn't know key tum Pakistan ayi howi ho.

"2 weeks key liye ayi thi, 2 din bad ja rahi hon to socha janey sey pehlay ap log sey mil lon Faryal told her sincerely. "Hum abhi yehi keh rahey thay key bahut acha socha Usman said to both of them.

Lubna was also there however did not nod or agree with her husband (haha). She had learnt how to tolerate Faryal now and is not as overtly obvious with her disapproval. Of course a lot of that had to do with a certain 5'2 doctor who had brought so much light into her baby's life. Yes, baby! Asfand was still her baby and seeing him so full of joy and peace made her easier to accept some of the trials life has thrown her way. Zubiya had brought joy not only into Asfi's life but she had wiped away the melancholy that filled their home too...

Speaking of Zubiya, where was she "Mama Zubiya or Saim abhi aye nahi

Lubna smiled at the mention of them "Nahi beta atey hongey, Zubiya ki night duty hoti hai to ghar par tumko pata hai sara din kuch na kuch karti rehti hai. Saim ke school sey aney ke baad gaye hain yeh log atey hongey "Kahan gaye hain yeh log Faryal couldn't help but ask. She couldn't imagine any fun or play places existing around this valley.

"Hamari Zubiya every month books or toys denay jati hai valley key poorer neighbouhoods main. Saim loves going with her because he enjoys meeting all the kids and going into smaller villages always seems like a good opportunity for him to go on little adventures and explore nature Usman explained with pride.

The sun was starting to fade away and the whole valley was being filled with a golden glow.

"MAAMMMAAA!!!! Gaiti heard Saim before she saw him appear in to the sitting area. He jumped up and hugged her and started telling her about his day animatedly.

Zubiya walked in behind him smiling. She was wearing a simple black kameez with black churidar and a red shawl. Her face was clean and free of make up, her hair was tied back in a high pony tail. She looked younger than what Faryal remembered her as.

She looked surprised to see Faryal as well but was polite enough to give her a quick hug.

"Lo agaye yeh log bhi, Zubiya tum fresh ho jao main khaaney ka arrangement dekhti hon. Gaiti hospital sey nikaltey huwey pata kia tha Asfand kab ayega Lubna said as she got up.

"Mama Peshawar sey Nephrology ki team ayi hai, Dr Shahroz or Asfi unhi key saath busy thay Gaiti said as she also started to walk away with Saim to freshen him up.

"Oh yes, Mama I forgot to tell you. Main Dr. Asifa ko ghar bulaya hai dinner key liye. Dr. Shahroz or Asfand to busy hain to main ney socha bechari akelay hongi aj sham Zubiya informed her mother in law.

"Bahut acha kiya beta. Let me get everything ready, why don't you go change "Haan Faryal tum bhi fresh ho jao we will have company for dinner Lubna FINALLY addressed her.

Faryal was feeling left out seeing all of this camaraderie between them and couldn't help feel a tinge of jealousy. This could've been me...she thought just as her phone rang.

Faryal finished her phone conversation in the sitting area. Usman was listening to Saim who had refused to go change with his mother and wanted to retell his story to his Dada when Asfand walked in. He smiled and greeted Faryal politely. She noticed his reserved formal demeanor but also realized that there was no hesitation or the attempt to mask his emotions anymore. He was just being himself; indifferent towards her.

He sat down by his father and Saim jumped into his lap now, happy to see one more person he could tell his story too.

"Ajao beta, Peshawar ki Nephrology team chali gayi.Usman asked his son. "Nahi kuch log sight seeing karney or local foods try karney gaye hain, mainey unko Rustom ke saath bheja hai. I have invited a couple of them for dinner. Mama ko bata don He responded looking around while holding Saim down who was play fighting him. "Acha main bata deta hon, tum jao fresh ho jao. Usman said as he saw his son dodging Saim's kicks while still looking around.

"Jisko tum dhoond rahe ho woh bhi upar gayi hai change karney Usman said smilingly as he got up. Asfand smiled and picked up Saim "Chalo Chooto, shower lo or change karo.

Faryal saw everyone walking away and sighed, "Would this what my life would have looked like, probably not because that girl is too plain Jane. Asfi and I would've had more fun she pacified herself as she started walking upstairs

Outside Asfand and Zubiya's room.

Z: No Asfand!!!

Faryal heard Zubiya say just as the sound of his laughter rang out. She was walking by their room and couldn't help herself.

Silence followed for a few seconds before she heard the sound of bangles clicking and Zubiya's soft laughter.

That's all Faryal could take.

The sounds made it feel like someone had picked up a thousand needles and poked them into her chest...

She started walking away...