Chapter 1

You were nervous. Your teacher had asked you to retrieve some papers for her from the Student Council Office, which sounds like an easy task, but you knew deep down that it wasn't. You knew that she was usually there around this time, and you knew you had to try as hard as you possibly could to not make a fool out of yourself. You wouldn't want to embarrass yourself in front of the Student Council President after all. You'd probably never hear the end of it.

    Anxiously, you made your way up the stairs, and began the walk to the Student Council room. "Alright, (Y/n). Just relax, you'll be fine." You tell yourself once you've fully stopped. You're staring at the door, your fist placed onto it, ready to knock. Slowly, you knock.

    The door opens, revealing the very person you were so anxious to see. Makoto Niijima. "Yes?" She asks you kindly.

    "Oh, um... Ms. K-Kawakami asked me to get something for her." You stutter out to Makoto, feeling your face heat up. 

    Makoto motions for you to come in, and reluctantly, you do. She softly shuts the door behind you. "I think I know what you're talking about." Makoto tells you, making her way to a large desk in the corner of the room. You two are the only ones in the room. At this time of day, on this day, Makoto was usually the only one here. "Oh, I think this might be it." She says, picking up a stack of papers, the top of which has Kawakami's name written on the top. "She must have accidentally left them here."

    "Right... Well, thank you." You say, taking the papers from Makoto's hands. You go to leave, but find yourself unable to move. Makoto looks so natural in this room, like she was destined to be here. Everything about her was so neat and accounted for. Her clothes looked so much cleaner than everyone else's, and her hair was so straight. 

    "(Y/n)? Are you alright?" Makoto asks you, breaking you out of your trance. "You were staring at me."

    "S-Sorry." You mutter, completely and utterly embarrassed. This is already a train wreck. You turn around to leave, eager to get out of your awkward situation.

    "Hey, could you wait a second?" Makoto asks you. "I've got a question for you."

    You turn around again to face her. She looked a bit concerned about something, but you had no idea what she could be concerned about that involves you. After all, this was pretty much the first time you had ever spoken to her longer than a few words. "What is it?" You ask her, willing to listen to whatever it was she wanted to talk to you about.

    Her eyes dart around the room, and her entire demeanor had changed. She seemed nervous, not her usual composed self. "I really shouldn't be talking about this with another student... Especially somebody that I never speak to, but I just have to know. There's something that's been bothering me for a while, a problem that I've just recently gotten wind of."

    "What's that?" You ask her kindly. You were still nervous to be around her of course, but your concern overwrites your nervousness, temporarily.

    Makoto sighs, realizing she's reached the point of no return. "Do you think I act like a robot?"

    Wait, what? That's what she wanted from you? Why would she ever think that? "W-What? What do you mean?" 

    "I've learned recently that I... Well, I'm not the best with people. A friend of mine told me that I act like a robot. I guess she meant that I'm always so strict and serious all the time? I'm honestly not sure where she came from originally, but I can kind of see it now. I've got another friend of mine helping me with that, but I don't think that will be enough."

    You were surprised, actually. She seems to have really took that robot comment somebody made to heart. You never would have imagined Makoto Niijima, the super smart Student Council President, to be self-conscious. "Well... What do you think you should do about it? Is there anything else you can do?"

    "I... Have an idea." Makoto tells you, putting more trust into you. "I need more friends. I need more social interaction with a variety of people. The... Um, group, I spend time with isn't enough. So I was wondering if you could help me out?"

    You were stunned. Was she really asking you if you wanted to be her friend? The answer was yes, of course, but you were still unsure on whether or not this was a dream. "Of course." You say, smiling. "I'll help you out. What did you have in mind?"

    "I'm not quite sure. Ren said that friends usually go places together, so... Would you like to get something to eat? We could use that time to get to know each other better." She asks you. Now you were convinced: This had to be a dream. Sure she wasn't asking you out on a date romantically, but it was still practically the same thing.

    "S-Sure." You get out, trying to contain your excitement. 

    "Perfect! I know a nice place, it's not expensive either. Give me a moment, and we can get going." She tells you, walking over to the only chair that had a bag in it.

    "Alright!" You say, thrilled to say the least. Today has been a pretty good day.