Chapter Four: Questions

The train ride to London was long. Cassie kept asking Professor McGonagall questions about Hogwarts and magic, but she refused to answer (saying she couldn't talk about magic around muggles).

Cassie liked the professor, but she felt like she was hiding something from her. Every time someone would come near them, Professor McGonagall would tighten her hand around something in her pocket and look at Cassie. If this trip was supposed to be fun, why did McGonagall look . . . nervous?

Once they reached the station, Cassie stood up and stretched. "Are we close, Professor?" she asked.

"Yes, The Leaky Cauldron is only a five-minute walk from here."

Cassie couldn't wait to see what The Leaky Cauldron looked like. Would people be riding brooms? Would she see a wizard cast a real spell? Would Cassie get to cast a spell?

As they walked toward The Leaky Cauldron, Cassie began to notice more people dressed like the professor—long robes and pointy hats.

"Um, Professor?"

"Yes, dear?"

Cassie pointed to the two people walking toward them. "Are they wizards?"

Professor McGonagall placed her hand on Cassie's arm and pushed it don't. "Don't point, Miss Porter. But yes. They are wizards."

They were about to pass the wizards, but on of them looked up and saw Professor McGonagall. "Professor! Professor! Did you hear? Harry Potter is in Diagon Alley with that game keeper. What's his name? . . . Hagrid"

McGonagall eyes widened. "Keep your voice down. There are muggles around."

"Sorry, Professor. I just can't believe it. After all this time, the boy who lived is finally among us. It makes me want to celebrate You-Know-Who's demise all over again."

"Well, or course Harry Potter is among us. He's eleven. However, he needs to be treated like a child and not a celebrity. He's only a boy."

The wizards moved back in surprise. "Yes . . . yes. Of course." They started to walk away. "Good day, Professor."

Professor McGonagall nodded her head. "Good day."

Without hesitation, Professor McGonagall kept walking.

"Professor," Cassie struggled to keep up. "Who's Harry Potter?"

Professor McGonagall stopped for a moment and looked down at Cassie. "He's just a boy that will be in your year at Hogwarts." She started to walk again.

"But then why were those wizards so excited to see him. . . if he's just a student like me?"

"Sometimes, people get excited for reasons no one can explain."

"But, then who is. . ." Cassie tried to remember what the wizards had called him. "You-Know-Who? They said he was defeated . . . and Harry made them remember. . ."

"Miss Porter," Professor McGonagall stopped walking and turned toward Cassie, making Cassie run into her.

Cassie looked up at the Professor, and she could tell she had made a mistake. There was something about Harry Potter or You-Know-Who that Professor McGonagall did not want Cassandra to know about.

"I'm sorry, Professor. My mom always says I ask to many questions."

McGonagall's eyes softened. "It's fine, Miss Porter. But listen to me very carefully. There are some things that you should not ask questions about. Terrible things have happened to the wizarding world in the past. And right now, you do not need to worry about them. Maybe one day, but not today. Do you understand?"

Cassie didn't understand, but she nodded anyway. If the Professor thought she might need to know about them one day, why wouldn't she tell her about them now? What terrible things happened twenty years ago, and how was this boy named Harry Potter involved?