Chapter 2

The gas station was covered with signs from cigarettes, to new products, to the new Haler, the most frequent sign displaying around the small gas station. It was a thirty minute drive to the one gas station that sold to minors. Ashtons heart thumped the moment Larry put the car in park. This was his chance. He could get a Haler device himself, right now, right here. A few older men stood by the gas pumps, one of them eyed Larry's old Honda. 

"Wait." Ashton said.

"You wanna hit? Come on just try it!" Larry says, practically putting the Haler into Ashton's hands.

Ashton held the device, staring at the empty refillable wedged into the top of the Haler. This little device intrigued Ashton and somehow injecting the device into his mouth and breathing would fulfill that intrigument. Just one hit, there was nothing wrong with that.

"Ok, yeah." Ashton said, taking the Haler into his hands.

Suck. Inhale. Release. The smoke was warm against Ashtons mouth, down his throat and into his lungs, before Ashton was coughing up everything he had just inhaled. Larry was hysterical, jumping in the driver's seat.

"You want one? Twenty bucks and ten for a pack of apple flavored." Larry said.

Ashton felt his mind relax for a minute and his brain spun. It was over in a few minutes, until he took another hit. The smoke blew up in his lungs and he felt as if a balloon was expanding in his chest, in the best way possible. The smoke hit his blood and went to his brain and throughout his body. Something inside him was at ease. Suck. Inhale. Release. The three simple steps for three short seconds of euphoria.

"Here's thirty bucks. Get me one." 

Ashton stepped out of Larry's car and onto his black driveway. A swarm of gnats flew around him, a gentle reminder of the bugs the warm weather brought. His heart skipped as he shoved the Haler device and the pack of Apple flavored refillable's into his backpack. The thought of his parents finding out about this would send him into years of being grounded, if they didn't already kick him out. 

The house was silent as Ashton walked in, gratitude flooded Aston's body as his parent's weren't home yet. Still, Ashton was cautious and took his new device up to his room to take another hit. The apple flavoring hit him like the smell of warm baked apple cobbler, fresh from the oven like his mom made. His mind went into a spin for a few seconds and his arms and chest felt relaxed, at ease. Something about the smoke roughly hitting the back of his throat sent enjoyment down Ashtons spine. 

Ashton moved around a few books in his bookshelf and found the perfect spot to conceal his new prized possession. Ashton tried not to think about what Lucy had said. The letter was all because of the Haler. It must have a rumor mixed up transferring into people ears. The Haler was something that relaxed you, not sent you off the edge. The kid must have been depressed, or lonely, maybe even both.

"Honey!" 

Ashton's heart sank and his head spun up from his homework and to his hiding spot in his bookshelf. Ashton had been deep into his homework for hours without realizing the time had flown by. 

"Come help with the groceries!" His mom had barked from downstairs.

"Hey mom." Ashton said, greeting his mother with a warm, familiar hug.

"Mmmm, sweetie, you smell good. New cologne?"

"No, last time I put cologne on was this morning." Ashton said.

"Huh, well you smell good, like apple! My favorite!"