Chapter Two: The Stars

I must have gotten a lot of sleep last night because I'm awake an hour before my alarm is set to go off. I don't get out of bed right away. Instead, I lay on my back staring at the plastic stars though it is no longer dark enough for them to glow. No matter how hard I try, I can't help but be nervous for my first day at this new school--Chance Harbor High. I never really had an emotional attachment to my old school, but the idea of starting over in a new one makes me feel sick. I will be a Junior this year which is arguably the most important year of high school if you're looking to go to college. My mom and I had always planned to backpack across Europe together after I graduated so I never gave much thought to applying to higher education. Looks like I'll have to start. 

I sit up and rub my eyes, trying to clear my head of any thought of my mother. This is difficult considering I am laying in her childhood bedroom. I swing my legs from underneath the covers and onto the blue carpet that felt so out of place yesterday. Looking at the analog clock on the night table, I realize I stayed in bed a little too long to spite waking up so early. I rush to my dresser, digging for something to wear. I pick out a pair of jeans and a white lace take top. 

Before I begin to change, I glance over at my window to make sure the creep from last night isn't watching again. I don't see him so I remove my pajamas and change into the outfit I chose. I look myself up and down in the floor length, golden mirror placed up against the wall beside the fire place. The lace top is a bit low-cut, but if I wear a jacket, I can zip it up if I get cold. I snag the black leather jacket from the hook on the back of the bedroom door and throw it on. I slip some socks on before putting on my favorite black, heeled boots. This will have to do. 

I toss my bag over my shoulder and head for the door. "Shit!" I forgot to put on makeup. I can't go to my first day looking like a naked mole rat. I look back in the mirror and use my fingers to blend some BB cream all over my face. I use my mom's mascara that she let me borrow to make my eyes look less sleepy and smudge a little black liner onto my lid. Lastly, I put some lipgloss on and inspect my face again. It's not my best work, but it's better than nothing. My mom always told me that I'm a natural beauty, but it's okay to enhance it. 

I finally leave my room and rush down the stairs to the front door. Before my hand is on the knob, my grandmother emerges from the kitchen. 

"Cassie, my dear," She glides over to me and hands me a floral lunch bag. "I packed you some left overs from dinner plus some dessert."Her smile somehow made the room warmer and calms my nerves for the moment. 

"Thank you, Grandma." I take the bag from her delicate hand and wrap my arms around her for a goodbye hug. 

"Good luck today." She whispers into my ear and then releases me. "Not that you'll need it! I'm sure everyone will love you."

I smile and turn to the door, taking a breath before opening it and heading to my car. Once I'm in the in driver's seat, I notice my Grandmother had left a small sticky note on my steering wheel with directions to Chance Harbor High and a "good luck!". I pop in a CD and let the music distract my brain from the impending doom of first days. From what my mother had told me, Chance Harbor is the type of small town where everyone knows everyone and everyone gossips. That was one of the many reasons she gave me as to why she moved away. Another was it reminded her too much of my father who died before I was born. 

The drive through town is short, but beautiful. Every single house that lines either side of the street is covered with vines and the yards are full of flowers and green grass. Each house is only slightly different from the last, creating the most uniform and perfect streets. It's almost unnatural looking to an outsider like myself. Everything looks like it's straight out of a story book or an impressionist painting.