Prologue

They were gaining on us: the monsters, the Tendrils. Our plan had been of the utmost secret, how could they have found out? No doubt a traitor in our midst, perhaps even now jumping into the River. There was no time to root out whichever one of the other Anilikos had let slip our plot, entranced by all the promises whispered by the Tendrils, but it didn't matter. The howls of the Tendrils' Terata grew ever louder as they tore through the labyrinth of tunnels.

Of course necessity had led us even nearer to the Tendrils' domain.

"Faster!" I screamed, voice barely carrying over the roars of the Terata monsters and the frightened yells of my family. There were hundreds of us. We'd never all make it into that River.

At the bank, Iris stalled, chewing her lip as she stared into the churning, milky waters so far below.

We had no time for her hesitation. I sped forward, crashing into her back. Though Iris's form was far stronger than mine, she lost her footing and tumbled into the rapids along with dozens of other flailing bodies.

Faster.

Faster.

One after another they leapt, some holding the hands of their loved ones, some pushing each other over the edge.

Torches carried by some of the more human Terata illuminated the cavern, the Tendrils syphoned any heat from the already chilled underground. I jumped whenever a shadow bounced off the stalactites, mistaking the shape for a Terata that had sped ahead of the mass.

Valiant Athena stood atop a stray rock, barking orders to the frightened crowd. "Keep going!"

She hadn't needed to tell the fearless king to run. He'd been the first to take the plunge, leaving the rest to fend for ourselves. That was to be expected, of course. The kingdom wouldn't survive if its king perished.

There was little I could do until they all jumped. They didn't listen to me as they did to Athena, yet they relied on me to save them from the Tendrils' reach. Another thing I expected. But I was lumped in with their lot, so my power was theirs. I could only wait until Athena yelled them all into the River. Shadows flickered in the corner of my eyes as I waited, the Terata nearing with every breath.

"Behind you!" Athena cried.

It hadn't been a shadow. I whirled around, coming face to face with a massive Terata, a boar-like creature with arm-length tusks of onyx. Its gargantuan hooves pounded against the cave floor, kicking up shards of rock. No wonder it had been faster than the rest of the Tendrils' minions.

I raised my hand. "Zalisma!"

The boar sailed back as if bashed by an invisible shield. It crashed to the ground, motionless, stunned. I briefly considered killing it, but that would have required a more powerful curse. I was better off saving all the energy I had for what was to come: what would no doubt prove the most taxing spell I ever attempted. A simple stun spell would have to be enough for the first Terata.

More beasts swarmed into the cavern, encircling me. They knew I had a necessary role.

"Zalisma! Agonia!" At my yell, Terata flew backwards or collapsed, writhing in agony. But for every monster I vanquished, three more seemed to replace it. No doubt the Tendrils had amassed an army after our plan had been leaked. I couldn't just pick off Terata individually. It would only be a matter of time before they overwhelmed me and one slipped past my defenses. Even if I managed to thwart them all, I'd surely be too drained to fulfill my duty. I'd be powerless, and either more Terata would converge, or their master would finish us himself. I burned to finally face him, to look into his fabled eyes.