OS 4: You, Me aur Hum

Abir woke with a start - the sounds of soft gurgles waking him up. Sitting up, he glanced at his wife who was lying on her side, sound asleep. Smiling, he stroked her hair - she looked exhausted.

The cries from the other end of the room got louder. He quickly pushed his covers down and got down. Quickly reaching the crib, he gently picked the wailing baby up. Cradling her in his arms, he cooed softly, "shhh. It's okay. Papa's here"

The baby looked up at him with her huge lotus eyes and blinked. He smiled and nodded, "that's right, baby. Papa's here"

To his amazement, her little petal lips perked up in a smile, she lifted her chubby hands and kicked her little booty clad legs.

"Oh no no. It's not playing time. It's 3 AM. It's sleepy time" he said amusedly, glancing at the clock, "though I would love to play with you, your mama would kill us" he joked, tossing his head in the direction of his sleeping wife.

As if understanding every word he spoke, the baby scrunched up her nose and let out a wail.

Scared that she would wake Mishti up, Abir walked with her to rocking chair and sat down, "shhh. Shhhh" he shushed her, trying to lull her back to sleep.

The motions of the rocking chair seemed to soothe her, and her little eyes were getting drowsy again. He looked at her wordlessly. The little life they had created together. She was beautiful. So serene. So pure. Everytime he looked at her, his heart filled with love. It was a love like no other.Bending down, he gently kissed her forehead, "good night, little one" he muttered as he felt his own eyes getting heavy.

***

Mishti stirred from her sleep. Groggily, she threw her arms to the side, reaching for her husband. She startled awake when she found nothing. Sitting up she rubbed at her eyes and propped a pillow behind her back to soothe her aching back.

Once her eyes adjusted to the darkness she saw that her husband was seated on the rocking chair with their baby. Both of them sound asleep.

Taking care not to make noise, she quietly trotted over to them, amazed and humbled by what she was seeing.

It had been just 10 days- since she had become a mom. Just 10 days since their baby had entered their lives, but in these 10 days she held their entire world in her tiny little fingers.

And she hadn't thought it possible, but in these 10 days she had fallen more in love with Abir. Ever since that first wail to tonight, Abir was by her side, never faltering. Even when she had doubts, he was there to soothe her fraying nerves, "we are in this together" he had said and he had been true to his word. During every long night, he had been up to soothe the baby, take her so that she might get some rest.

She was indeed blessed, Mishti thought, placing an arm over her husband's shoulder.

At her touch, he jerked awake, careful not to disturb the sleeping baby in his arms, "hi" he said groggily.

She smiled, "hi yourself. It's 4:15. How long have you been here?" She asked.

Abir shrugged, "about 1 - 1.5 hours" he said, then seeing the expression on her face quickly added, "and no, she is not going to get used to this. She is too little for that" he finished with a smile, shaking his head.

Mishti pouted, "yeah, take her side already" she said, half irritated, half amused.

Abir looked at her amused, he opened his mouth to say something when the baby cooed, both of them looked down. She was still sleeping. Maybe the word tranquility was coined when they saw a baby sleep, Mishti thought, as she leaned in and stroked the baby's bald head and Abir placed his hand on her tummy.

Bending his head a little to the baby's he said in his soft baby voice, "that's right. Papa's always on your side, hai na baby?" As if in response to his question, she curled her fingers around his little finger. Abir let out a little laugh at the same time Mishti groaned, "great. You both better not gang up against me" she said, "and you should let her down"

Abir nodded, getting up from the rocking chair, he silently walked to the crib. Mishti watched as he rocked the baby a little, his face showing the happiness his heart felt. Mishti felt her own eyes moisten up as he gently kissed the baby before letting her down in the crib. And in that moment, she fell in love with him all over again.

"I love you, my baby's daddy" she called out. He looked up, gave her a smile that melted her heart and sent her a kiss.

Mishti smiled. Yeah, life was good. And it was moments like these that made life worthwhile.