OS 5: Camping with Abir

"They are all set" Abir announced as he plopped down next to her after returning from setting up tents for their co-passengers

She threw him a look out of the corner of her eye, "hurrah" she muttered, uninterested. Frowning she plucked the grass near her feet - she couldn't believe all her plans had gone kaput. Tomorrow was such a special day. And she had planned everything. They were supposed to be in Kutch by now. The place where they had first met. But their bus had broken down, yes bus, because that was part of the plan too.

Yayyyy Mishti, brilliant!!

As if reading her mind, "It's ok" he said reassuringly, throwing a hand around her shoulders.

That did it. She shrugged his hand off and whirled around to face him, " no it's not. It's not okay, Abir" she cried, tears welling up in her eyes, "it's your birthday!" She cried, getting up. He gave her the look he always gave her. The one that got to her everytime. The one that touched the deepest parts of her heart. She turned around, "and everything was supposed to be perfect."

She heard him chuckle before he stood up and walked behind her. Lacing his hands around her waist, he placed a kiss on her cheek, "it already is" he said softly.

And that made her feel a little better.

"Mmmn" she closed her eyes and leaned on him, momentarily forgetting her disappointment, "but-" she started,

"No buts" he said sternly, turning her around to face him "and waise bhi, it's my birthday na. Where's my gift?" He asked, eyes twinkling.

Great! Now she was back to feeling horrible. Her eyes dropped to her feet , "it's in Kutch. I - " he placed a finger over her lips to make her stop talking.

"You talk too much" he muttered with a smile, shaking his head.

"I talk too much? That would be you" she mumbled back at him, frowning.

"Mishti..." Abir muttered, hooking a finger under her chin and making her look at him.

Mishti pushed her glasses up, "it's my birthday and I want something from you, will you?" He asked, his hands cupping her cheek.

For the first time since their bus broke down, Mishti smiled. She lifted her hand and placed it on top of his, "anything" she muttered.

His smile widened at her answer. He took a couple of steps back. Mishti froze as her fiance went down on one knee. Taking her hands in his, he looked up at her, "Mishti Agarwal" he said, " will you go camping with me?"

"Oh Abir!" She managed to say. Just a couple of days back she was mentioning how she had never gone camping and maybe she would like to try it one day.

"Will you?" He asked again softly, the corner of his lips perked up in a smile.

Mishti nodded fervently through her tears, "yes"

"Great" Abir said, bouncing back up, his eyes twinkling with excitement "you sit down. I'll get everything sorted"

"Oh no no no, " Mishti countered, planting her hands on her hips, " we are doing this together"

Abir mirrored her pose as he planted his hands on his hips, he opened his mouth to argue but realising that she wasn't going to back down, he shook his head, "alright fine"