Chapter 2

Buckner Hall. 

I have been going to this school for what seems like my whole entire life. I know every inch, every corner, every room of the school. It was where my parents grew up, it was where Gale grew up, it is where I grew up. It means a lot to me. 

Junior year meant a fresh start. A new clean slate. Not that I needed to clean mine up. I had a reputation that needed to be kept up. I mean, what could've gone wrong, right? I had a perfect boyfriend, great friends, and straight A's. 

Arriving at the gates of the school, I was excited. I was excited for the year ahead. I could already see the familiar faces of my schoolmates, the familiar faces of the staff, the familiar vibe of the first day of school at Buckner Hall. As I got out of the car, I was greeted by a mob of people. I could hear questions like, 'How was your Summer?' or 'Are you still with Ryder?'. I jostled my way out of the mayhem to go and settle in. 

On the way inside the school building, I saw someone unfamiliar. It was a rare thing for me to see a face that I did not recognize. Something about him made me curious about where he came from. I don't know if it was his sparking eyes or his messy brown hair. He intrigued me. I kept looking at him, and just as he shot a glance at me, I looked away. 

"People are just so brutal nowadays," Kamyryn said. I couldn't focus on what my friends were saying. My mind was still stuck on the boy I saw. 

"The fans can't help themselves," Skye joked. I gave them a half-hearted laugh as I opened my locker. 

"You okay, Heath?" Kamyryn asked. I smiled at her.

"Yeah, of course. I um, just forgot how chaotic first days can be." Then, the bell rang.

"Well, we'll see you at lunch!" said Skye, walking away with Scarlett.

"Kam! Wait, did you notice that new boy? The one with the dark brown hair?" I asked.

"Uh, no?" 

"Okay, forget it. I'll see you in PE for second period." 

----

All day long, I couldn't stop thinking about that boy. Later during the day, the news started to spread. 

"Heather, did you hear about that new senior hottie?" a girl in my English class asked me. 

"Nope, but I think I saw him earlier this morning."

"Isn't he hot? His name is Luca. Luca Castello! Apparently, he is on a scholarship here or something." 

In another one of my classes, another girl started up a conversation with me about him.

"I heard that he was already skipping class." 

All these things I heard made me want to know more about this guy. Who is this Luca?

When lunch came, I couldn't be happier. I walked into the eating area seeing all my friends already seated at our usual lunch spot. I saw my boyfriend, Ryder.

"Hey, I missed you," Ryder greeted when I reached the table. He kissed me, and everything felt right again. For a brief moment, I forgot all about this Luca guy. 

"Missed you too!" I said. When I looked across me, I swear I thought I saw Kamyryn roll her eyes. Could it be? No. No. She would never. I knew I was just overwhelmed by this whole first day. 

"Yeah yeah, I don't need to hear all that mumbo jumbo today, k?" Fallon, Ryder's best friend as well as Skye's boyfriend, remarked. 

"Haha, what has gotten into your ass today?" I said. 

"Cut it out, Heath. I'm having a bad day," he said, "That new dude is really getting on my nerves." 

"Wait, new dude? Is this the one you were talking about this morning?" Kamryn asked me.

Un fucking believable. It was as if everywhere I turned, Luca was there. I haven't even officially met the guy and he was already dominating my life. 

"I don't know, maybe," I said, slightly annoyed. 

"He's an asshole. Just do me a favor and stay away from him. All of you," Fallon said. 

The rest of us did not know what to say. We ate the rest of our lunches in silence.