CHAPTER 10

Rachel had hidden herself behind one of the walls in the building, waiting for Loki to need her. She had already had a target in mind and she was determined to take him down herself. She kept her back pressed to the wall as Loki's voice suddenly rang through the room. She listened in closely.

"Please tell me you're going to appeal to my humanity." Loki said.

"Uh, actually I plan to threaten you." Came another voice that Rachel easily recognized as Tony Stark.

Of course he's here first. He's iron man. She thought as she cursed herself for hoping that Captain America would get here first.

"Should've left your armor on for that." Loki said.

"Yeah... It's seen a bit of milage, and you've got the glow stick of destiny." Tony said.

There was a bit of silence before Tony continued.

"Would you like a drink?" He asked.

"Stalling me won't change anything." Loki said.

"No, no. Threatening." Tony quickly corrected. "No drink? You sure? I'm having one." He said.

"The Chitauri are coming. Nothing will change that. What have I to fear?" Loki said.

Rachel kept her back to the wall as she listened in.

"The Avengers." Tony replied. Rachel frowned in confusion at the name. There was silence.

"It's what we call ourselves. We're sort of like a team. 'Earth's Mightiest Hero's' type of thing." Tony explained. She could hear him pouring himself a drink.

"Yes, I've met them." Loki said. Even though she couldn't see them, Rachel could hear Loki's smile as he spoke those words.

"It takes us a while to get any traction, I'll give you that one. Let's do a head count here. Your brother, the Demi god. A super soldier, a living legend who kind lives up to the legend." Tony started. Rachel clenched her fists at the mention of Steve. "A man with breathtaking anger-management issues, a couple of master assassins and you, big fella, you've managed to piss off every single one of them." He finished.

"That was the plan." Loki said. "Not a great plan." Tony quickly shot back. "When they come, and they will, they'll come for you." He said.

"I have an army." Loki said. "We have a hulk." Tony countered. "I thought the beast had wondered off." Loki argued. "You're missing the point. There is no throne. There is no version on this where you come out on top." Tony said. His voice sounded closer, letting Rachel know that he was moving towards Loki.

"Maybe your army comes and maybe it's too much for us, but it's all on you. Because if we can't protect the Earth, you can be damn well sure we'll avenge it." Tony said.

"How will your friends have time for me, when they're so busy fighting you?" Loki said.

Rachel then heard a small clink. Then silence before a second clink. "This usually works." She heard him mumble. "Well, performance issues, not uncommon." Tony said. "One out of five-" Tony was cut off by a grunt. Then there was a thud.

Rachel decided that now was a good time to peak. She saw Tony stand before Loki grabbed his face and flung him out the window. Then a machine burst through a door, just barely missing Loki, and followed Tony out the window.

"And there's one other person you pissed off." Came Tony's voice as he flew back up in his suit. "His name was Phil." He said. Loki raised his septor but before he could do anything, Tony blasted him.

Rachel stayed back watching Tony, as he caught her eyes. "Kid?" He said to himself. Before he could attempt anything, the machine on the roof activated and shot a blue beam into the sky, opening the portal.

Tony looked up, seeing the portal open and release an army of alien robots.

"Right. Army." He said.