Ch. 3: Fallen Star

By the end of the night, Luke, Rose, and Tharius had discovered that James' father didn't approve of the fact that James liked other guys, and the young man had cried in the bowling alley. Luke felt bad for him, knowing how painful it was to be called a freak, for your own family to hate you. Then again, Luke had long stopped considering his aunts and uncles family. They didn't accept him as family, so he stopped caring what they thought of him, except when it came to the safety of his family and friends. Then, Luke cared deeply. 

"Hey, it's going to be okay. It hurts now, but I'm sure he'll accept it sooner or later. You're still his son, and I'm sure he loves you. He just needs time to process everything." 

"You fucking liar. If families loved each other and just needed time to process, your parents would be alive and you wouldn't an anxious wreck everytime something remotely supernatural happens.' Luke dismissed the dark voice in his head, smiling kindly at James, who was currently wrapped up in Rose's arms as he tried to calm himself down and stop crying. "Will you promise us something though? Don't hurt yourself. If you ever feel lonely, talk to one of us, and we'll be with you. We'll go bowling again!" Luke smiled brightly, hoping that this was cheering him up beyond just right this moment.

Tharius cleared his throat a little, writing down his cellphone number and handing it to James quickly. "Here. So you can call me. Luke here is terrible at answering his phone unless it's family, but if you get Rose she's usually with him, and you already have her number from when you did that group project. A-Anyway, how about we go get dinner sometimes? You know, to talk and stuff." 

Rose hid her grin quickly, recognizing Tharius's shyness as him trying to ask out James in a not-blatantly-obvious way. Luke chuckled at the now blushing pair as his phone rang, and was intent on ignoring it before he saw that it was Matthias. Stepping away as James talked about how he would love to go to dinner with Tharius, he answered his little brother's call with a smile. "Heyyo mouse."

"So, um, Luke, I saw a star falling in those woods not too far from the house and I kind of went and-"

"Matthias, you went looking for it on your own?!" Luke's voice raised drastically, tinged with fear and anxiety and attracting the attention of his friends and most of the people in the bowling alley. 

"Yeah, I just was going to hide and see what it was. I'm sorry, but I was worried! It doesn't matter anyway, because he's not dangerous. He's beat up pretty bad and he's got some bad scars, but not the same as the other ones. He looks...scared. I brought him back home. I think he needs medical attention." 

"Home? Matthias, are you sure? I'm coming right now, alright? If anything happens, remember what to do!" Luke hung up and faced his worried friends. He couldn't tell them anything. They would be in so much danger if he did. "I've got to run guys, my brother needs me. Bye guys!"

As Luke left the bowling alley and began to speed towards his home, James asked "Why didn't you ask anything else? Why didn't he tell you anything?" Rose sighed, Tharius now looking very serious. It was Rose who finally spoke up and answered his question. 

"We stopped asking because he told us not to, and he never answered anyway. We still worry, but the only way that Luke really allows us to help him is by being friends. It's annoying that he won't let us help him the way he's helped others but...we can't do anything about it. It's his choice."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author's Note:

Hello once again my lovely readers! I'm curious, what do you guys think of this so far? I'd love to hear your opinions!

Next chapter is going to be a fun one! I can't wait to explain more about our little hero's family issues. I'm sure you guys will love it! ^_^