Chapter 9: Day Off

Another day in Konoha Village, the mother and her daughter-in-law were busy preparing breakfast for their family.

     It is 6.55 am in the morning, Shikadai woke up earlier before his alarm clock ringing. He scoot out from the bed and make his way to the bathroom before he's sitting on the dining table. He puts his head on the table. Half-asleep, waiting for breakfast to be served.

     "Shikadai, can you help me to wake up your dad?"

     The boy's teal eyes glare at his mother. Huh? It is rare that his father wakes up this late.

     "Huh? Isn't dad comes home early last night?"

   "Yes, but he left again at midnight. He just home at 4 am. But he need to go to work this morning" Troublesome, shouldn't you just let him rest? Keeping that thought only in his mind because talking to her mother is too troublesome. Plus, his mother didn't take 'no' as an answer. Questioning her order is equal to death. 

     "Fine.. troublesome" He's mumbled.

     Good grief. Like father like son. Temari wipes her hand with a clean towel. While waiting for her husband and son, she took this time to hang their laundry at the back yard. After that, she cleans the living room a bit before she makes herself a cup of tea. Sipping the hot-warmed tea, reminiscing the years that she had been married to Shikamaru. It's been eight years together. She sips her tea again. Since Shikadai was born, Temari rarely on mission meanwhile Shikamaru getting busier day by day. She even hardly to talk with her husband. But Temari understands that. Because her family is a ninja. She grew up as the Kazekage's daughter. She would never complain about her life now comparing to her childhood.

     Temari startled as she heard a bird chirping. She looks at wall clocks. It's already 9 am. This is bad!

     "Those boys.." She grasped her hand. They are so gonna dead! Or she means, they are so gonna be late to school and work.

     Because she was so furious, she unconsciously grabs her tessen fan, dragging it to her bedroom. Once she opened the door, and before she could lift up her fan, she saw Shikadai sleeping beside her husband. It stopped her there. A small sigh release. She finds it very cute to see both of her favorite boys sleeping together in bed. She walked towards her dresser and leaned in to look for a camera, then she took their picture.

I guess Shikamaru must be too tired. It's 9 am and he still hasn't wake up yet. Maybe I'll call Naruto to inform that Shikamaru unable go to work today. She thought.

     She reached the house telephone and dialing Hokage's office number. There are three rings. Picked up and she heard Naruto's voice. "Who's this.." said the man.

     "Excuse me, may I speak to the Hokage?" Asking politely, although she knew that Naruto asks her not to be too formal with him. "It's Temari...."

     "Ahhhh Temari! What can I help you?!" As always, Naruto is very energetic, unlikely Kakashi-very calm person.

      "Anno... I want to inform, that Shikamaru is unable to go to work today... because.." Word by word neatly arranged as Temari thinking an excuse to tell Naruto. But before she could finish her sentence, Naruto interrupted by "What do you mean Temari..? Shikamaru took an off day today"

     Temari has stopped talking, surprised with Naruto's statement.

    "He is..?"

     "Ahhh yes! He requested it last night. He helped me a lot. I guess I wouldn't mind to approve it" He explained. After bidding goodbye to Naruto. She planning to call the Academy, to inform that Shikadai also unable to go to school. This is not like Temari. Temari is a very disciplined person. Defying rules is not her nature. However, she did it anyway.