Nine

The summer after that graduation party, all I could think of was that boy. Something about him was just so oddly alluring—I couldn't help myself. There was no way I could go without seeing him. In fact, the day after the party, I asked Riley and Jack about him.

Riley 🌸, Jack 🔥

Me: Hey guys. Can I ask you a question?

Riley: Of course, Daniel. Ask away.

Me: So, there was this guy at your party. He had bleach blond hair, a good jawline, and a good fashion sense. I think I actually met him a few years back. Any clue who he is?

Jack: Nope. Hbu, Riley?

Riley: Sorry. I don't think I know him. Could've been the child of one of my parents' friends. There were a lot of people I don't know there.

Jack: Same here.

Me: Oh well. Thanks guys ❤️❤️❤️

This news was somewhat discouraging, yet not soul crushing. In my gut, I knew that I would see him again no matter what.

...

Kaya was also very supportive of my endeavors. At that point, I had never had a boyfriend before, and I was getting desperate. Not desperate enough to just date anyone, but desperate enough to try to find this guy.

This is where Kaya came in. To put it nicely, she was an expert stalker. She could find almost anyone online in a matter of minutes, and have their phone number, Instagram, Snapchat, and address. I wouldn't have been surprised if she could find someone's Social Security number.

She searched for hours and hours. Nothing.

An entire year passed. No sign of the boy, but I still thought about him frequently.

Kaya and I applied to our dream school and got in. By the end of the summer, it came time to move in.

We would be sharing an apartment in the middle of campus. We were so excited to finally be on our own; independent of our family. I was sad to leave, of course, but something told me that there was something significant waiting for me there.

My mom and Kaya's mom helped us load up a giant van with all of our stuff. Teary eyed, our moms kissed each of us on our heads, and pulled us into a tight group hug.

Then, I hopped in the driver's seat, and Kaya and I began a new chapter in our lives.