Surprise

"Where are we going?" Asked Tessa as she walked cautiously, unaware of where she was stepping as a blindfold was placed over her eyes, shielding her from view. Jem held both of her hands, guiding her and she gripped onto them tight, fearful of falling and making a fool out of herself. She could hear a cluster of immense chatter all around her and she tried running her mind as to where she could possibly be. Music sounded in the background, the rustling of fabric and the patter of feet against the ground. She could see the harshness of the lights peak through but it gave nothing away. She could feel people rush past her, eager to get to their destination and she thought of how dangerous this actually was. Was blindfolding her really necessary? She thought and let out a sigh.

"Shush! We're almost there!" He whisper yelled. He couldn't get her to shut up with the amount of questions she was asking, maybe he should have gagged her after all and he smiled at the thought, knowing she was unaware of where his mind was drifting.

"Mr James Carstairs! I demand you release me at once." Tessa had stopped walking and stomped her foot like a child that wasn't get her way. Jem sighed, what am I going to do with you, Mrs C? He thought and let go of her.

After Tessa had stopped her little tantrum, she was very much aware of how the volume had decreased massively. She inhaled and the scent of coffee and vanilla invaded her nostrils. A smile kissed her lips, she knew exactly where Jem had bought her.

"Can i..." and before she could finish her sentence, Jem was already removing the cloth from around her head. Tessa's smiled an ear splitting grin and tried her best not to squeal. It had been so long since she had last entered a book shop of any kind, never mind her favourite one Waterstones. She had been so caught up in work and other irrelevant things that she hardly had time to rid herself of her home and go. The old book smell was so intense as she walked further into the shop, her cheeks had started to hurt from smiling.

This was probably Jem's favourite thing to see, his wife beaming from ear to ear as if her smile couldn't grow anymore. Her eyes were lit like a that of a child's on their birthday and she looked happy, really happy. Her smile was contagious and he just couldn't not smile back with the way she was looking at him, eyes bright and twinkling.

And then they were off... Tessa was very aware of what books she wanted having them mentally saved in her head, the list was huge but she wanted to explore for a little while, grasp the feeling of being in her second favourite place in the whole wide world, the first being her husbands arms of course. Her fingertips lightly traced the spines of, different textures passing her under her skin. Tessa had now stopped as a book had caught her eye, a specific book in the historical fiction section that had been on her list for a very long time. There had been an incredible amount of hype about this book 'The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo' by Taylor Jenkins Reid, all over book tube and she was excited to add this to collection so she went to pull the book out of it's designated area and was met with a very familiar wide and warm Earth brown eye. She squealed almost dropping the book out of her hand and placed her free hand against her heart that was currently hammering in her chest.

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING! YOU ALMOST GAVE ME A HEART ATTACK!" She spat through clenched teeth. Jem had burst out laughing. Scaring Tessa was one of his favourite pass times because she rarely got scared so to have given her a 'heart attack' was a victory in his book.

"Stop laughing and get your ass here right now." Tessa just really couldn't keep a straight face around him no matter how hard she tried, just seeing him laugh automatically puts a smile on her face so she gave up and chuckled while rolling her eyes, annoyed that he got his way.

Jem obeyed and rounded the corner of the bookshelf looking sheepish. "Here," Tessa placed the book in his hand "hold this." She said and continued her search, almost skipping to her favourite sections, breezing through the shelves, picking out books and adding them onto the pile in his hand. The pile grow slowly as she whisked him away, romance, young adult, fantasy novels stacked in his arms and he didn't seem to mind because she was clearly making the most out of this trip and having the time of her life. Jem couldn't take his eyes off of her. She looked beautiful in a long black floor length dress with flowers scattered over the sleeves and chest. She looked radiant and natural and in her own element and he felt his chest swell with love.