What Determines A Dark Side?

(He/him pronouns please! ^-^)

Spoilers for Dealing with Intrusive Thoughts!

So we have light sides and dark sides, right? We know now that Virgil used to be a dark side

So we have light sides and dark sides, right? We know now that Virgil used to be a dark side. Why isn't he now? What separates Deceit and Remus from Logan, Patton, Roman, and Virgil? Well, let's think about it real quick.

Logan is logic, Roman is creativity, Patton is morality, and Virgil is anxiety. But each aspect of them is different, as seen in Fitting In. Each side was able to fit into each Hogwarts house based on which part of them they were looking at. If we look at Roman's need for attention and love for adventure, he easily fits into Gryffindor. His romance could sort him into Hufflepuff. His ego and ambition could have him placed into Slytherin. And his creativity and extensive usage of Thomas's right brain could sort him into Ravenclaw with ease.

Each side is just like that. Patton has had troubles in the past with hiding away his true emotions and wearing a mask. This is repression. Roman's ego still gets the better of him to this day. While Logan may tried to push aside his "icky, complicated human emotions," he still has a problem with them and unknowingly allows them to cloud his judgement, especially when it comes to arguments between him and Roman. And we all know that Virgil isn't always good for Thomas.

So what keeps them on the light side?

Well, let's take a look at the dark sides. What do these two have in common?

Lies and intrusive thoughts are ALWAYS seen as bad. Not only that though, but Thomas will always characterize them as being bad. As being evil. There is no changing that.

Virgil was able to switch over from the dark side because Thomas's characterization of him changed. He realized that his anxiety is not always bad. It can be beneficial to him. But since when were lying or intrusive thoughts ever good to him?

Never. And they never will be.

In Dealing with Intrusive Thoughts, Logan told Thomas, "You have to understand that life is not so black and white as they say."

Thomas responds with, "But the Duke and the Prince literally wear the black and the white."

To which Logan retorts with, "Yes, but they're YOUR sides. That's how you see them."

When Thomas asks why Roman isn't all-encompassing, Logan replied with, "Because of your view of creativity and imagination as a purely good force. At a young age, you filed away products of your imagination as welcome or forbidden."

That same reasoning could be used to explain what determines a dark side's placement. In Thomas's youth, he was taught that lying was wrong and that some of the things he would see and hear were bad. So he shoved them to the side. He used to see anxiety as just a mental illness that prohibited him from doing what he truly wanted. Now that he knows what his anxiety actually does for him, he doesn't see it as a bad thing anymore. (Though that might be debatable after the next episode where we get to see Thomas's true reaction to Virgil coming clean to him.)

There is another way this could go; the dark sides could be sorted that way because of Patton's trust towards them.

Think about it; Patton doesn't trust Deceit at all. In Selfishness vs. Selflessness, when Deceit asked if he could be trusted, Patton was really quick to shake his head with wide eyes. He really doesn't trust him.

In Dealing with Intrusive Thoughts, when he first saw Remus, he basically called him evil. Also, he continuously chastised Thomas throughout the night with Virgil about Remus because of his fear of him. He doesn't trust Remus in the slightest, and on two occasions accused him of outright offing a side.

But Virgil? He trusts Virgil. He knows that the anxious side doesn't mean any harm. He doesn't know that with the other dark sides. He even goes as far as to refer to Virgil as a son and tries to cater to his needs of not wanting to be seen as completely innocent because he knows he's not.

So it could go either way. Either Thomas's perspective of them or Patton's trust in them.

If you guys want to have a friendly debate about it in the comments, you all can do so here. Be civil, for the love of all that is holy in this world-

This is just a theory I've had on it. Hope you enjoyed reading it! Have a lovaly day my lovalies!! 💙💙💙