The Beginning

In the city of brotherly love in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania is a twenty-three-year-old Maria Phillips. She lived with her relatives since she was fifteen, having love and support she'd lost in her childhood.

Maria lied her back against the light blue bed that hugged all over her slightly chubby body frame. Her warm chocolate eyes focused on her violet case protected iPhone, scrolling through the music selection on her Spotify. A strand of her chocolate hair curled on top of her soft, long, triangle nose. Her thin lips growled in annoyance. She let out a groan and ran her fingers through her hair, resting the hairs around the back of her ear. The bright screen brightened on her round face wondering what song to pick. She wore s charcoal shirt sprouted with rosy flowers along the long sleeves of her t-shirt. Her thick waist was supported by her dark colored jeans covering her legs all the way to her ankles. Her thumb navigated down the music selection and tapped on the Demi Lovato playlist, playing the song "Warrior".

Her early childhood felt like a rollercoaster: Some with happy moments and others with bad moments. When she was little, she grew up with an alcoholic mother and a father with a smoking addiction. Every night, her parents would argue over every little thing especially if mom was drunk. Maria felt so terrified of the arguments that as she grew older, she'd gotten used to the fights. The sad thing about Maria is that her mom and dad would hit her with their hand or a belt as punishment if she did anything wrong. She'd wished that they could be a happy family again, remembering the time her father took her to a wrestling event for her birthday or to an amusement park to make everyone's day brighter. But what does she feel know? She feels...nothing. The happiness slowly decayed out of her body every day she'd wake up to her imperfect parents.

All the pain and the truth
I wear like a battle wound
So ashamed, so confused
I was broken and bruised

Tear ducts began to fill with salty water, trailing down her cheeks like a slug sliding down a leaf, leaving a stain on her face. Her lips twitch a bit as her breath shortened a bit. The painful memories of her past came back into her mind, eliminating all of the environment that surrounded her. The remembrance of watching her father laid on the floor with crimson streaks all over his lips and nose, how icy cold his frigid body felt when she tried to check his pulse. This isn't right. He can't be dead, he can't be! Her mind played out, gritting her bottom lip. Her father was a victim of a dangerous entity called lung cancer.

Now I'm a warrior
Now I've got thicker skin
I'm a warrior
I'm stronger than I've ever been
And my armor is made of steel, you can't get in
I'm a warrior
And you can never hurt me again

Her palms shielded her face tightly as the dam broke out, filling her hands up with the stream of her salty tears. Why did that have to happen? She asked herself desperately. Why do I cry every time I hear this song? Her aunt, Hannah Richardson, dashed into the room and bend down on her knee in front of Maria, gripping the crying girl's shoulders lightly. Hannah sported on a red hockey t-shirt and gray sweatpants around her big waist. "Maria, what's wrong?" She asked concerned. Hannah's grassy eyes knew that something was wrong with Maria, watching the girl's shoulders shake while she cried. Maria sniffled in the snot and rubbed her cotton t-shirt over her eyes, halting her tears. "Tell me what's bothering you," She demanded softly, waiting for Maria to collect herself and respond. Air escaped through her lips before she answered. "This song...reminded me of my past.." she replied softly. Her head dipped down to the floor, "Horrible memories," she added to her sentence not noticing that her right eye leaked out like a faucet dripping water.

"Hey, hey don't be down," She rubbed her palms beside Maria's arm hoping it would soothe her. "I know that you had a rough childhood but look at where you are today. You have a family here to support and take care of you." She reassured forming a huge grin on her slightly wrinkled face. Maria didn't budge nor answer to her aunt, rather be kept quiet than to speak and let her emotions get the best of her. "You still have that Demi Lovato concert to go with Aunt Krystal," she spoke enthusiastically. Maria's lips slowly turned into a smile at her response. "You know what? You're right. I have everything I need: a family, love, and well...everything really," she agreed gleefully, finally realizing why she is still here. "Good," Hannah replied back cheerfully as she erected herself up. "So are you feeling better now?" She questioned by the door. "Yes I'm fine," Maria bobbed her head flashing her teeth in that delicate smile.

Hannah stepped out of the room closing the door behind her. Crrreeeaakkk, the door spoke out to Hannah. You'll be fine Maria, she recollected herself, it's just a song. Now be prepared for what you want to wear for the concert that's coming up in a week. "You're a survivor," Maria spoke out, "Let nothing tear you down."

[Q/A] What will happen when she'd go to the concert? Will she finally be able to meet her idol? Stay tuned for the next chapter!