Michael Chapter 2

“I don't want to bring you. We've already been through this. Nobody's gonna wanna have you come along. I’m just being honest.”

Alba pouts. “Y’know, you should be kinder to me.”

“I’m pretty sure that having a little sister tag along wasn’t part of the deal.”

“You said-”

I interrupt. “I said that if you would do my chores I would bring you to the park. So, that means that you don't go to the skate park, you go to the park.”

Alba is my 7 year old sister. I live with her and my two parents, Rex and April. But, here in B.C., we have to use our middle names. So, out in public, I’m Michael. At home, I’m Adrian. My sister is Vivian. My dad is Levi, and my mom is Cecilia. I guess the name thing has to do with blending in more or something. I’m not quite sure. I came over to Canada 11 years ago when my sister was 1. So, I don't remember much. But, I am Latino. And, that's basically all I know about my past. My parents don't like to talk about it much. 

Alba storms away screaming, “Mom! Adrian won't let me go to the skate park with him!”

My friend Chase, who is from India laughs. “You got quite the sister there.”

Almost all my friends know our family rule to use our middle names outside of our house, or when we have visitors. They know our first names and middle names and of course our last names. 

“Tell me about it.”

“C’mon let’s go before your sister decides to bite me.”

I snort. “Good idea.”

“Don’t laugh! Last time I had to get 3 stitches because it was so deep.”

My dad cuts in from the living room. “Latino women made strong.”

Chase whispers under his breath, “And apparently strong jaws too.”

I chuckle “I might bite you too if you don’t hurry,”

“Please don’t.”

“If you don't ever want to be bitten, never go to where I’m from.”

“I dedicate my life to never go to French Guiana.”

My dad again: “That good.”

“Let’s gooooooooo!” Alba whines appearing behind my dad. “I've been waiting forever. And Mom said I can go to the skate park.”

My eyes meet Chase’s. I mouth run.

He immediately books it, me following behind screaming my head off.

“HEY!!! Get back here! DAAAAAAAAAAAA!”

I catch up to him, no problem, and give him a huge grin. We high five each other, but it’s cut short as Alba jumps me from behind.

I scream. “GET OFFFFF!”

Chase gasps, and searches for the oxygen that was just in his lungs. “Oh… my… Gawd.”

I could practically feel the eyes of strangers watching us with amused looks.

“You were supposed to take me with you.” Alba says. She goes behind a trash can, and pulls out a random skateboard.

“Where’d you get that.”

“Daddy bought it for me!”

“Oh god whyyyyyyyyy?” I groan.

“We might as well bring her with us.” Chase says rolling his eyes while I groan even more. “She’ll stop complaining that way. And I don't want her to attack me.”