Chapter One

"That new club opened! We should head there-" Cathy gleamed with excitement before Winnie interrupted her with a bland and unsatisfied tone.

"Nah."

"How about the mall? That store has a bunch of cute clothes-"

"I'm actually offended you thought that was a good option,"

"The McDonalds down the street was just renovated," Cathy sighed, glaring at Winnie with cold eyes. "Let's go there."

"Gotcha. Let me grab my shoes," Winnie smiled, pushing a strand of orange hair from her soft brown eyes, and began pulling a pair of white Converse from under her bed.

"All you do is eat and you only weigh like 105 lbs - and stick thin," Cathy wined, stepping out of Winnie's room and getting a head start down the steps. "Where is the science in that, Brainiac?"

Winnie rolled her eyes and stride out her already open bedroom door. She pulled out her pony tail, letting her shiny orange hair hit her shoulders. She picked up speed, beginning a light jog down the steps, passing Cathy.

"I run, remember?"

The two arrived at McDonalds in minutes, Winnie rushing inside like a little girl, Cathy bluntly following behind, shoulders slumped. Winnie began her order, and asked Cathy what she wanted. The boy behind the register had darker hair that hung over his eyes, which were a piercing blue. He was taller than both, nearly towering over them. He seemed mesmerized by these two girl's looks.

Sitting at the cleanest table available, they began small chat, when Winnie grew quiet, her eyes wide.

"Is that an earthquake?!" She shrieked in a low whisper, gripping her chair. Looking around, Cathy gave a worried glance to her friend, who looked mortified.

"Are you feeling okay?" Cathy said, taking Winnie's hand. "It isn't even windy."

"Wait - so you don't feel the shaking?"

"No..."

She felt light headed. What was happening? Why was everyone acting so normal? Don't they see it, too?

"I'm going crazy..." Winnie whispered before her chair tipped backwards and everyone went black.

Winnie woke up, staring at the white tile ceiling of McDonalds. Cathy and the dark haired boy were both standing over her, eyebrows raised.

"How long was I out?"

"About 5 minutes." said the dark haired boy, stretching his lips into a thin smile.

"You haven't been out that long in a while. Looks like it's happening again," Cathy frowned, her voice dreadful and dreary. Cathy extended her hand and helped Winnie up.

"I'm sorry, what's happening again?" Said the boy, Winnie just realizing how cute he actually was.

"Because she runs so much, Winnie started passing out around a year ago from exhaustion several minutes after she actually ran," Cathy explained, Winnie feeling light headed again and grabbing the dark haired boy's shoulder. He gave a worried look, but Winnie caught herself and began to stand up right again. "That also explains why you felt that earthquake that no one else felt," Cathy added.
Winnie nodded but the boy kept staring at her in disbelief.

"What's your name?" Winnie asked, looking another direction to avoid awkward eye contact.

"Marcus," he smiled. "I'm Marcus. I just moved here," But to her surprise, he grabbed her arm and pulled her close to his ear.
"I felt the earthquake, too," he whispered. "Meet me here tomorrow," he let go and walked back to his register.

Winnie could only stare in disbelief.