One-shot

Her name is Sam. She could be simply described as being the right woman for the right man. We had a platonic relationship. You could say we were best of friends. We'd often take the train to go to places we'd both like to see. We really enjoyed riding the train, seeing the same thing every day was very exciting since we knew we'd be looking at them differently. Often, our friend Mark would tag along and we'd have fun being loud and funny. We talked a lot about life, people, and pretty much everything under the sun. As we were also students, the train became our chit-chat room just before we part our ways home. Surely our friendship would last forever.

Years passed, and our relationship could only get stronger. Then came the time when I noticed my feelings towards her were for more than just friends. I had the confidence of a contender, the determination of a fighter, and the heart of a warrior. I was so sure she'd love me back. We rode the train and there I confessed. I was so sure she'd say 'I love you too'.

But she didn't. She told me she wasn't ready, that she'd just want us to stay friends. True, I thought everything was going to be fine, but the fact that I was so full of myself and the fact that she didn't even dream of us being together, really ended our lifelong relationship. And it all began when we both got off the train and went on our ways.

Since that day, things have begun getting awkward between us. When our eyes would meet, she'd quickly avert them. When I try to start a conversation, she'd look at my face, and as if out of shame, would turn her eyes from me and say "sorry..." silently and just walk away. I wanted to believe that I can rebuild the friendship I broke that day. But that was just too far from happening.

A few weeks passed, I found myself riding the train alone once more. Seeing the same thing everyday now bored me. I tried having someone else be my new best friend, but I was just fooling myself and just made me feel more stupid and miserable.

Months passed, I finally grew to believe the fact that there's just no replacing her. I figured I'd talk to her about it. But I needed help. So I asked Mark. He was a guy I can trust with my life, always being there for me no matter what. He was even the guy who helped me confess to Sam. Good timing too, he just broke up with someone. Surely he knows his way around women.

I inquired about the situation I was having. "I just want her to treat me as she did before..." I begged. Sure enough, he helped me. I was so thankful for the advice he gave me. He was already going out if his way for me.

He told me to start with an apology, at some place I know she'll always be. I figured the train would do as for the place. If I told her my intention, she might just walk away from me again. I had to surprise her.

I know her schedule, it was only a matter of getting a chance of meeting. I had to catch that moment after school, the less people we know are around, the better. She would always stay one hour at school every day to hang out with her girl friends. Yet, oddly enough, her friends told me she left early today. I sighed deeply... I figured tomorrow will be another day.

I decided to take the train home with hopes of at least meeting her there. Surely enough, I did. It was the single most saddest day of my existence. As I was waiting for the train, I saw her. I saw Sam, on the other side, as she got off the train. It was very odd... why would she come back? Did she forgot something at school? Then I noticed it. She was with a man, holding each other's hand and being romantic to each other. They seemed to have had a blast from wherever they came from.

I was hurt, to say the least. But I wasn't hurt by the fact that she found someone else, for I am not so shallow as to think I was the only man for her. I was hurt by the one thing I never expected to happen to me. To be betrayed by two of my most trusted companions. Sam was dating Mark! The incident made me furious! How could I have let these two people just play me all along? How could they both betray me? What have I done to them?