Seconds

(A/N: This was written as kind of a warm-up from a book titled 642 Things to Write About, Have a feeling it's gonna inspire a lot of this lol. Anywho, this mini-drabble kinda doesn't make sense like at all in terms of the canon timeline but I just wanted to write Saimota cuz I don't find enough stuff for it so, take it. Constructive criticism is always appreciated!)

He was out the moment his head hit the pillow. As if not mere minutes before, they'd left the trial grounds after witnessing another execution, another act of proclaimed "justice". As if Kaito hadn't kissed Shuichi for the first time not soon before Angie and then Tenko's body had been found. Looking at him now, Kaito can understand his fatigue. Tireless minutes searching for clues before prosecuting a friend to death and having to argue just to get to the thick of it. The guy tired himself out just by being around them, the bumbling idiots they tended to be in the worst of times. Their sobbing afterward probably did nothing to help.

He sighs and slips his jacket off, draping it over the sleeping detective, as he had fallen asleep atop the blanket. Settling into the armchair, he draped an arm over his eyes and held back a sense of longing. The want to escape here with Shuichi's hand in his; to see the smiles on the faces of the kids he was trapped with; to see this place burn to the ground; to escape. Kaito wanted to escape. But a part of him knew that would never happen. This game felt unbeatable, though he'd never admit it. How could they defeat a mastermind they couldn't see?.... Well, Shuichi might.

The guy was smart. A lot smarter than anyone here. Doubtful of his instincts sure, which prohibited him a whole bunch. But all in all, the guy was pretty good. If anyone could get them out of here, he could. A smile found its way to his face as he stood back up, shuffling over to the bed. Dark hair fanned across the pillow and Shuichi's forehead was creased with worry, fingers twitching against an unknown enemy. Kaito ran a hand through his hair and the crease faded somewhat. As he continued to run his fingers through Shuichi's hair, the tension that resided in him began to subside until finally, he looked at peace. Kaito smiled again and leaned over, kissing his cheek before leaving.

In his sleep, Shuichi smiled.