Chapter Seven: Greenwich

~ CHAPTER SEVEN ~

Greenwich

The Triplet's journey south took weeks. They steered clear of inns and settlements, and instead made camp in woods off the beaten track and slept in tents. Throughout the journey, their three guards, Fensman, Rosemount and Beckett, were ever vigilant, and took turns keeping watch. Romero often sat with them, and Ruple began to suspect his brother was rekindling some of his former courage.

Rex had been certain Septus would have spies on the road, and so he'd planned their journey accordingly, the carriage taking them east from Grand London, before travelling south along the coast. Any spies would be watching the black country and the midlands. The fenlands of the east would serve as the brothers' refuge.

Ruple wrote frequently in his journal. The observations were without flair – often basic statements of goings on in the camp, or simple descriptions of the stark landscapes they travelled through. He'd been surprised at how flat and bleak the east of the country was compared to his home. He'd been spoilt in Grand London, with its alpine vistas, rolling moors and endless evergreen forests.

But over time, Ruple gathered an appreciation for the fens and the river lands. With so much open space, the skies were never-ending, and on one night he found himself falling asleep to the sound of swaying reeds and chirruping crickets on the marsh. He made a mental note to seek out Grand London's own wetland region on his return. He would like to hear that sound again in less ominous circumstances.

When the coach finally arrived at the base of the hills that commanded the north of London, Ruple had started to wonder if they'd ever see the city at all. Their journey had been arduous, Rex refusing to use the main roads and instead commanding that they travel on poorly maintained byroads and woodland tracks. Often the coach would become stuck in mud or ruts in the path, and all would have to climb out to help wrench its wheels free. Roland Sheldon had modified the carriage for off-road travel, but yet, he could only do so much, and they found themselves having change wheels twice on the journey. Luckily they'd packed spares.

It wasn't all dire, however. The coach driver, an older fellow by name of Shaddoes, proved to be a competent cook and a better storyteller. He regaled the company with tales of his time as RR's coach driver, where he'd travelled around Europe with the young king on his extensive tour of the continent's architectural highlights. He still carried a gilded dagger RR had gifted him in thanks for his continued service.

Hearing such tales of his father brought a twinge of sadness to Ruple. He could barely remember him. But when he did think back, he didn't think of a king, he thought of the architect on the moor, dreaming aloud his grand designs of a city unmatched in scope and beauty.

The closest the companions ever came to an incident on their journey was a visit by a group of near feral children on the outskirts of Lincoln. They snuck up to triplets camp one evening in a wooded copse at the juncture of four fields long abandoned by anyone that may have farmed them. The poor wretches had only wanted food, and Rex thankfully provided, on the condition that the children remain at camp until the triplets left. The children were more than happy to oblige, and had Ruple had the feeling that they would remain in the vacant camp until they exhausted the last of the firewood Beckett and Rosemount had gathered. He felt wrong to leave them. This the closest he'd come to the real victims of Septus' utter indifference to populace of England. He'd near Rex if they could fit them in the carriage, but eventually thought better of it.

Ruple struggled, on such sights, to comprehend why the Cardinal even wanted the throne. He seemed not to care a lick for the country he ruled over. Was it madness that drove him, or was he but a puppet for a larger evil? Yet again Ruple kept his thoughts to himself – a discussion reserved for he and parchment of his journal.