The Day You Left

His smile and over the top expressions made his wrinkle show more on his face as he waved his hands in the air painting a pictures of creatures that I have never seen before. He talked about tales of a young girl who could do spells and magic. The beautiful colors he painted in my imagination is what inspired me to go to college for the arts. He always inspired me and was there for me. I could feel his warm hand on my shoulder as I stare down at his casket.

  Rain streamed down my face masking my tears and drenching my clothes. I didn't care though. The feeling of the cold rain helped my body feel something. His death was so sudden. He was healthy the last time I saw him. His smile was bright and eyes vibrant with life. I didn't know he was hiding his pain.

  Pink roses lay on his casket. They are his favorite because they are my favorite. His only grandchild.

  My mother throws herself to the ground crying loudly as she mourns her dearest father. My father gets down on his knees holding my mother while she cries to the heavens. Why they couldn't let him stay a little long just to let her say goodbye.

  I stand in silence as I look down at the casket. I am too numb to move my body. I want to escape from this world where he no longer is. I want to live in the stories he created just me and him living out the adventures from his favorite book.

  "Grandpa, will I be a brave magician like the girl in your stories when I grow up?" He comforts my tiny hands with his warm, worn hands.

  "You can be anything you want to be my sunshine, just promise grandpa this." His eyes get overtaking with a wave of sadness. He pats my tiny hands as he looks down at them with a sad smile.

  "Promise me you will live like an adventure, never let the real world take away your beautiful imagination." His voice cracks as he look back up to me with tears threatening to fall down.

  "I promise!" I shout happily.

  My grandpa laughs throwing his head back. "Now, you know a promise is never promised unless it is pinky promised!"

  I wiggle my tiny pinky to his large pinky. We look at each other smiling so big that both of our eyes get swallowed by our cheeks. "Pinky promise!" we laugh together.

I promise grandpa I will live the adventure you wanted me to.