A Short Story

Ugh.  Another new school.  My dad was relocated again, and here we are, in good old Cleveland, inclement weather and all.  We moved all the way from Dallas this time.

Up until my dad was fired from his first job, we were living an opulent lifestyle in San Francisco.  He was a doctor for the local hospital, but there was an incident involving a patient’s paperwork, and a whole group of doctors were fired for negligence - including my dad.  He went on a job hunt but couldn’t find anything.  That was when he decided to join the military.  It was time for him to serve our country, he told us, and he thought it would be exhilarating.  Now every year or two we move, normally across the country.

Anyways, I had a lot of fun in Dallas, and I’m going to miss it there.  Since my dad was often not around and it was mostly just my mom and I, she sent me and my friends to a two-week summer camp in North Carolina!  It was a lot of fun, and I met new people from all over the country.  When I got home, my mom gave me the news that we were moving.  Instead of feeling bereft, I took it in stride.  I was used to it by now, in a routine of saying good bye and trying not to cry.

Now I was here, in the public high school, tentative and feeling shy.  I knew no one.  At least that’s what I thought.

“Hey there Newbie.  Nice shoes,” a really tall boy shouted as he passed me in the halls.   One of his friends stepped on my toe, which was busting through my worn-out shoes, and I grimaced.  Looks like I have a new adversary.

My appearance as a whole was unkempt, not just my shoes.  I gave up trying 4 years ago.  Soon enough I would leave this city and these people, and never have to worry about them again.  Old ripped up jeans and a sweatshirt with my hair in a messy bun was my go-to.

Ring!  Ring!  The first bell rang.  I ran down the halls, twisting and turning, trying to find my homeroom.  I finally stopped in front of Classroom 207.  “Is this Mrs. Grobakyl’s homeroom?”

“Yes sweet cheeks, come on in and find a seat,” an elderly woman at the front of the room said.  She winked at me as I slowly walked in.

Everyone stared at me as I inched towards the back of the classroom.  I sat down in the back row and pretended to scrutinize over my schedule.  I looked up to find everyone’s eyes staring at me.  I quickly glanced at everyone’s faces, but I gaped when I looked at a girl in the front.  A wave of nostalgia washed over me.  I knew that girl.  I knew her from camp.  Her face brought me back to Dallas.  

With fortitude, I walked to the front of the classroom and ignored the chuckles and gibes.  “Mrs. Grobakyl, may I use the restroom?”

“Of course honey, go ahead,” she replied.

As I walked out of the room, I nodded my head at the girl, hoping she would get the intimation and meet me in the bathroom.

Luckily, the bathroom was right across the hall, so I didn’t have to search much.  I opened the door warily, but no one was in there but me.  I walked over to the mirrors and adroitly re-did my messy bun - trust me, I’ve had experience.

“Hey Cheryl?”

I screamed and turned around.  It was the girl.

“I’m assuming you recognized me,” she pointed out.

I just kept staring at her.

“Do I need to reiterate myself?”

“No... no, sorry,” I mumbled.

“I don’t understand why you’re so shocked.  I would think you were happy you knew someone here.  I should be extolled!” She winked at me.

“I apologize.  You just reminded me of Dallas, that’s all.  Cleveland isn’t turning out to be so great,” I told her.  “Wait, I didn’t catch your name...”

“It’s Estelle.”

“Yeah, I’m not very good with names,” I confessed.

“Cheryl, listen, I’m sorry I seemed so dour before, I was just a little surprised also.  I can show you around if you’d like.”

Wow, this was turning into a cliche scene.  But Estelle seemed amicable, and I remembered her being sweet at camp, so I said, “Sure.  I would love that.”