Chapter 2

The game ended just as the sun went down, and we all headed home.

"Call me or something, ok?" Jeff said running backwards.

"Ok, see you around."

I stepped in and opened the door, and a a wave of smells hit my nose. My mom was cooking dinner, and I knew we were having enchiladas.

"Hi honey! How was your day?" My mom said cheerfully.

"Fine, but I hurt my ankle real bad."

And I stumbled over to the couch and took of my sock. My ankle was swollen for sure, but it looked like it could heal in a matter of time.

Little did I know I wouldn't get that time I needed.

----------------------------------------------

My dad was working a long day, and my sister was at dance class, so it was just me and my mom at dinner that night.

"So, is school going good?" My mom asked, hoping I would say something to start a conversation. I usually get good grades, but sometimes I forget to study.

"Yeah, It was fine." I felt bad for her, but I wasn't in the mood to talk.

"Oh, that's good." She said with a concerned expression. Our conversation wasn't very interesting, but I've never had enchiladas that taste as good as my moms.

----------------------------------------------

I was speed reading a book on the couch that was due for school (another thing I forgot to do) when I get a knock on the door. I hobble over to front room to see who it is. Sure enough, it's the gang.

I see 7 people all peeking through the glass in my window, 3 girls and 4 guys.

I open the door and a wave of excited voices bounce of the walls.

"Hi! What's up Reece? Want to come to the park with us?" Says Mia. She is the one person in every group that can never keep her mouth shut for more than 10 seconds. She has dirty blonde hair, and is almost blind without her glasses.

"Uh, sure. Let me get my sweater." I rushed down the hall to the mud room at a lightning speed (sarcasm) and was about to walk out the door, when I hear the very familiar question come from upstairs.

"Reece, where are you going?"

I stammer. "Just to the park. I'm taking my phone with me though."

I grab it off the side table and press the top button that is half broken, so it took me a few tries for it to turn on.

3% battery. One call. Good enough.

I close the door behind me and I jump in the conversation with my friends. Xavier, Taber and Jeff were there, along with a few others.

Maddy is holding Jeff hand and she smiles. "Hey Reece, how's your ankle? Jeff said he crunched you pretty bad."

Of course he would say that.

"Not to bad, thanks for asking."

She had blonde hair and is taller than me, but I'm still quite a few pounds heavier, same thing goes for Jeff. The two of them are like peas in a pod.

A voice from the front if the pack calls out "so where are we going?"

Of course, it's carter. He is all about ideas, but never puts them together. He is tall-ish, has short hair and plays football. On his left side is his girlfriend, Jerrilynn, who has blonde hair and is quite the athlete. I try to stay at the back of the pack, so they won't notice my limp, but I tried to move up a bit so I wouldn't loose them.

Suddenly, I see a sly smile creep up on Tabers cheek.

"Why don't we go to the river?"