Chapter Fifteen

Luna paced back and forth in her room. She hadn't seen James since she yelled at him a week ago and it bothered her. He was purposefully avoiding her. She wasn't asking any of her escorts about him either, but that was for a different reason.

Her anger that had come from next to nothing was backed by the fact that she was Roma. And gypsy women were known to be faithful to only one man at a time.

"No. Stop. You can't blame this on your heritage. You can argue that the three generations of pirates can vouch for the adultery."

She groaned heavily and threw herself on her bed.

"Jackie! I miss you!" she cried. "I'm sorry. I've been such a curvă!"

She sobbed into her pillow. Her breath catching when a hand was placed on her back. She looked up hoping to see her best friend or at least James. She tried to stop the disappointment that battered her face as she took in Henri's solemn face.

"What's the matter Luna?" she asks.

Luna just shook her head. "I'm just a horrible friend."

Henri frowned. "I don't think so."

"What makes you say that? The fact that I haven't betrayed your trust? Just wait, I will."

"Here, child, sit up. Now, dry your eyes and listen close. You remember the story I relayed to you about how I came to work for Lord Beckett?"

Luna nodded. "You were taken from your home in Ireland to be sent into slavery, right?"

She nodded. "I'vent a drop of Irish blood in me though. My parents moved there after they eloped, hoping to escape the pressures of Court life."

"Court?"

She smiled. "Technically, I'm fourth in line for the English monarchy. His Majesty is my cousin somehow. I've forgotten what my mother said."

Luna's mouth fell agape. "You're royal blood and working for that man?"

Henrietta shrugged. "Much like you, I was shanghaied into working for him. We all were. My mother tried to explain who she was but with no proof plus the rumor that she allegedly died. Her words had no standing with that snake." She stared out the window. "He used my father as leverage to get my mother to work cooperatively. The rest of us just fell in to place. We worked on the plantation. As far as I know, they're still there. I was sent for when word came of your return to Port Royal."

Luna's hand covered her mouth in shock. Her qualms were forgotten for the moment.

"Anyway, Lord Beckett requires your presence in his bedchambers."

Luna's widened as she began to protest. "I-I… we're not even-"

"Oh don't worry. I think you'll quite like his predicament.

Luna bit back a chuckle at the sight of the bundled and shivering man in bed.

"I hate to say it but I told you so!"

Beckett groaned and coughed. "Unfortunately, I should have listened to you."

Luna smiled. "Yes well too little, too late."

"Can you help or not?" he sneered.

Luna nodded. "My mother would be better suited though. I've lived on a pirate ship the majority of my life. The only sickness there is alcohol poisoning or seasickness. Plus the occasional flesh wound."

"No."

"No?" Luna wondered as she sat on the edge of the four poster bed. "Good heavens, do you want to get better or not?"

"Of course I do, darling," he managed between pain filled gasps. "But your mother is not treating me."

Luna looked insulted. "I never suggested such a thing. Though, if I were you I would begin to try for an amiable relationship with her. You are to be wed to her eldest daughter. Now, tell me what is wrong."

She leaned forward and rested her hand on his forehead. His fever was still there, though considerably higher.

He shrugged. "I don't know what to tell you other than I have a horrible cough, fever and a raging migraine."

She smiled at his vulnerability. "You said you haven't been eating properly?"

"I haven-" He was cut off by a round of coughs and winced. "Haven't been hungry. Or rather haven't had anything really appeal to me."

"Does your chest hurt when you cough?" At his nod Luna pressed her hand to his breast bone. She pulled away when he winced. "Have you experienced any shortness of breath climbing the stairs or another?"

Again he nodded.

Smiling, she pecked his burning forehead. "Let me check with my mother to be sure, but I'm pretty sure I know exactly what you have. And if I'm correct I've had it before myself. You'll be back to good health in no time. Though we might have to postpone our trip to Georgia."

"Let's hope we shan't. I'm hoping to marry you beneath the blossoming peach trees in a few months' time."

The image that flashed in Luna's mind made her smile. She loved peach blossoms. She couldn't think of a more perfect place to marry.

"Just an intimate ceremony, da?" she asked, "My family, Henri, a few friends and acquaintances?"

"Is that all you want?"

Luna looked down, her cheery smile melting into a frown. "For all that I have wished upon myself, and grand wedding was never one of them. All I hoped for was, perhaps, a moment on a ship before its captain. Much like my wedding to Nathaniel, though, I had hoped for my mother at least to be there." A small smile graced her lips. "As long as I wed someone whom I cared about, but not necessarily loved, I figured myself lucky. Now," she sighed, "now I count my blessings, for I have a man who loves me and I fear I have fallen for him despite what he stands for. This is not a chance that I will readily allow pass me by."

Beckett smiled. "Have Henrietta send for your mother."

"No!" Luna snapped. Realizing her outburst, she blushed. "I mean, that's quite alright. I can take care of you as well as she, I just need to consult with her on the matter of you illness. If that's okay with you?"

He nodded. "Very well, take the carriage."

"Of course." With one last grand gesture she left the room.

Curvă – slut