Chapter Twenty: Chasing Cars

{ { Trace's POV } }

The doctors told me she was in critical condition. But I was able to sneak in to see her.

It was hard to see her weak. The girl I'd seen strong, weak once again.

I felt my hand slip into my pocket, like it did when I was nervous or trying to keep everything inside. That's when I felt it again. My strength. The thing that kept me going.

"If I lay here..." I played with Mia's soft, brown hair, a smile playing at the corners of my lips. Her and my legs were tangled up, and her body rested against mine. One of her hands placed itself on my chest, moving occasionally to slide into the crook of my neck. Her other was wrapped around my waist, like mine was to hers.

"Would you lie with me and just forget the world?" I softly sang the words, knowing her foster parents would hear if I was too loud. Mia sighed and smiled, opening her eyes. I looked back at her, knowing she looked at me first. My spine shivered when I saw her eyes. They were still two colors I couldn't figure out, but what mattered was they sparkled. And they were looking right at me.

"You forgot a few lyrics." She joked, grinning. I fake burped and frowned. Mia buried her face in my chest and laughed, pulling the covers over our heads to further muffle the sound of her laughter.

"Smells good." She whispered. I laughed with no sound.

"Since I'm laughing do I get to put my face in your chest?" I joked. Mia rolled her eyes and tackled me. My arms wrapped around her as she fought against me, both of us laughing silently like idiots. We rolled over each other twice-- and we both fell off the bed with a big thud.

The door down the hall creaked. Mia lifted herself off of me, and pushed me under her bed. I didn't necessarily fit, but we tried our best. The door opened, and Mia's foster dad popped his head in. Mia stood up slowly, stretching.

"Sorry, sir." She apologized, yawning.

"Did you fall off your bed?" He asked her, laughing a little.

"Yeah. I had the craziest dream."

"Alright, then. You okay?"

"Sir, yessir."

"Report to bed, trooper."

Mia chuckled and the door closed. I started to come out, but she kicked me back under. I groaned.

"One. Two. Three. Four." She whispered. The door down the hall closed. Mia squatted down to help me out.

"Thanks for that kick, though." I groaned, holding my stomach and standing up.

"Are you okay?" Mia asked, putting on her big pouty-eyes face and taking my hand. I looked down at her, and then the next second I had her pinned down onto her mattress. (non-sexual. calm down Jesus)

"Payback with a penny for my thots." I said, grinning. Mia laughed, covering her mouth. I swooped down and kissed her hand, nudging it with my nose so she'd move it out of the way. Mia uncovered her mouth for a minute, letting me kiss her deeply. When I lowered myself closer, she rolled onto her stomach, and I ended up practically making out with her neck and her hair.

"Miaaaa." I groaned, poking her on the face. "Miaaaa can I see your face please? Specifically your liiips."

"Nope."

I plopped down, my full weight on her.

"Agh." She whispered, and put her chin down on the bed. I poked her cheeks, and she blew them out.

"Protection from the violators." Mia joked. "Weeoo."

"Can I see your face now?"

"Nope." She squealed. "Oops. Sorry not sorry."

I groaned and put my chin on her shoulder. My eyes scanned around. Then, an idea popped into my head. I reached over and grabbed her Polaroid from her side table.

"Ow. My boobs." Mia put her hands under her chin as I reached to put out the camera.

"Are you okay, babe?" I asked her, concerned suddenly. I probably weighed way more than her.

"Babe?"

"Babe."

"Babe?"

"Babe."

"Mia."

"Trace."

"I--"

"Love you? Good." I nuzzled my face into her cheek and she laughed. There, I took one picture. That one was for me. As I knew she would do, Mia turned her head, gave me a stink face and sniff kissed me away. I grinned widely at the camera as she was in mid-sniff-kiss.

"There you go." I grabbed the last picture and gave it to her. The one I took previously, I looked at.

"You know it's not the same as seeing your real face." I told her, cheekily. "So can I see it noooow?"

Mia laughed. "Asshole."

"Skank."

"Cunt."

"Hoe."

"Love you."

"Love you too... Mia."

"Good... For you."

I stink faced her and rolled off, wrapping myself up in the blanket.

"Traaaaace." I felt Mia poke all around my whole burrito. She sighed. "I guess I just have to go cuddle with some other guy--" I threw the blanket over both of us and brought Mia close. I kissed her all over her face-- you know the drill.

I remembered it all by a photograph. One night. All on a piece of paper...

My eyes went from the picture to her. She looked at me sleepily. Tiredly. Happy to see me.

"Hi." Mia greeted.

"Hey." I replied. She looked over at her pants that were neatly folded on the chair. A shiny, thin object poked out. I glanced back at her. She nodded. I walked over and looked.

All that I am. All that I ever was. Is here in your perfect eyes. They're all I can see...

But I wouldn't any more.

I looked back.

They were closed.