Chapter one:1

Page one -
Marissa climbed into bed after a long day of doctors poking and prodding at her body. She just wanted to rest and get away from doctors, drift into a painless sleep, and to wake up happy and stress-free. She glanced over at the books on her bookshelf. She smiled when her eyes landed on a particular book. She tried to get up but ended up falling down and taking her covers with her. The thumps of footsteps from someone echoes from the stairway and the person pushed their way into the room within seconds.

“What on earth is happening in here?!” The lady addressed the situation with a worried yet stern tone. 

Marissa grimaced, “I was just attempting to retrieve my novel from the bookshelf, Miss Michelle. I didn't  intentionally mean to startle you and Charles” Marissa gestured towards the shaggy dog resting on the floor beside the ladies feet. 

Michelle sighed and trudged over to the shelf, “Which one?”

“Roses Of Fire.” Marissa replied timidly as she stood on her wobbling legs then plopped down on the bed.

“Heavens, child. Must you always choose that book? Why not something worth reading like, ‘The Art of running a business’ ?” Michelle suggested.

Marissa pouted. “I’ll read those silly business books once I take on the family business. Until then, I’ll be reading whatever I want.” She stated.

Michelle sighed in defeat, “Would you like your nighttime snack, miss?”

“Yes please, Michelle. Instead of chocolates I’d like a batch of your specialty, chocolate chip cookies.” Marissa replied.

“Of course miss, right away” Michelle said hastily then turned to leave the room.

“Michelle, one more thing!” Arissa called out.

“Yes young mistress?” Michelle awaited the young girls orders.

“Can you please pass me a dose of penicillin? I’m afraid there may be a chance of me having a coughing attack while you’re absent.

Pg 1. Roses and demons