Chapter 1 The Murder of a Friend

(Y/N) = Your Name
(L/N) = Last Name

Days like these were typical, being in the court room was typical, real typical. He always fought getting the verdict he wanted, but it never really mattered to you what he got as long as you didn't witness it. Sure it bothered you, innocent people being hit with the GUILTY conclusion. Not something you partially cared for, so you stayed away, it always caused fights between you two. always.

Just who though? Well, your boyfriend, most call him Edgeworth. He was a feared attorney and to anyone with a sound mind rightfully so. He was someone that put fear into the hearts of criminals, in fact you met him being the defense attorney, fighting him to the bitter end. It wasn't that long ago actually maybe a year or two, you were a good attorney your self and heavily known. (Y/N) the righteous, but that was just what the detective called you, even if you insisted he called you by your last name (L/N). You fought for who you thought was innocent and you fight with passion! Passion that captured Edgeworths attention. Even though you had, for the first time, lost your case bitterly edgeworth later talked to you telling you that he had never had such competition before. A high complement from him, and you were smitten the moment he offered to take you to dinner. At first nothing other than associates at the time of course, but now you both were together, inseparable.

All in all it was safe to say life was good,  at least, sort of good. If you didn't constantly get angry with how he fights for the guilty verdict. Honestly you wanted an escape for the night, an escape from him, from the court room and from work. Just for a night! Was that too much to ask? Standing outside the court room waiting for your boyfriend was boring enough you just wished for something different...anything!

Ring ring!

Your phone? You thought you put that on silent while you waited out here, but you guessed you didn't mind as long as who ever called you wasn't work related. You fished around in your bag finding it tedious that they didn't make pockets in women suits now as you rummaged before finally finding it. You grasped it in your hand staring down at the name before smiling in relief, everytime your best friend calls good things were on their way!

"Hello?" Hastily you had flipped your phone to answer speaking now as you tried to stand on one foot to get off one of your heels for a second.

"(Y/N)?, can I ask you to do me a favor?" Mia's voice spoke to you now as you smiled now shifting feet as you crossed your arm a bit with a hum.

"Of course! Anything for my best friend, to be honest I was looking for an excuse to get away for a while, why is that guy you took under your wing not as competent as you thought?" You raised an eyebrow now standing on both feet as you stared at the wall thinking. What was that guy's name again? It was a strange one you'd have to give that to him, Butz? No no that's his friend, or well the man he took that murder case from. Hmm, it's something right? Isn't it?

"You sound like edgeworth! You know he handled his first case wonderfully! With years more practice he'll be an amazing attorney" Mia sighed as if she was a bit hesitant about her words, but you could tell she meant them.

"I don't doubt that....I heard it was a real case wish I had been there to see it honestly!" You laughed a bit shaking your head now before you hummed trying to round the conversation back to this favor she needed. "Anyway, what is it you need?"

"Oh, well I've asked my sister to look after some case files for me, it's more like evidence for a case....they're in this clock, shaped like the statue 'The Thinker' you wouldn't mind heading over and be sure that she takes good care of them?...there's been something...bothering me-...." she seemed hesitant and you could hear it in her voice. Mia never sounded hesitant about anything, what ever was bothering her really, really, had to be bothering her. It had to be some sort of bad threat...

"Of course I'd be happy too!, but why not ask that new guy of yours? I've seen his picture in the papers, he seems like a strong guy if there's...something on your mind about these papers, maybe he could-" you stopped being cut off(you choose to use your words carefully you never knew who might be listening these days).

"No!-...I just mean- no....these papers of mine from this case, have to be kept in the safest place possible, which is you and my sister. Please? I'd really greatly appreciate it, and if you want that excuse to get away maya and I were going to go down to her favorite burger place, you're welcome to come along, I know edgeworth must be driving you to your wits end" Mia laughed after she hastily shouted that no, and you knew better than to press.

"Oh well...alright, sounds good to me! What time do you want me to swing by shouldn't be too much longer over here, he's just finishing up this case" you hummed a bit.

"Is 8:30 alright?" Mia seemed, a bit on edge.

"Sure! I'll see you at 8:30! Do you mind if I stick around town for a little after dinner? We could go shopping?" You smiled a bit. Mia seemed to think on the other line before nodding to her self.

"That sounds wonderful, okay see you at 8:30, don't be late you know how maya gets when she doesn't get her food" Mia laughed a bit and you laughed with her finding you couldn't help it. You've known Mia Fey, for well years, ever since she started as a defense attorney actually you had been right there with her! It hadn't been till recently that you had actually met edgeworth, she didn't like him and you knew why. But you found you liked him more than you cared to admit, except for lately, even if you did love him. You both have been nothing but butting heads (he could be so stubborn).

"I promise I won't be! See you then!" You hung up leaving the line dead as you put your phone back standing around waiting a bit longer.
         ____________________

Why did he have to take so long?! Why didn't he get the case over with when you assumed he would! Now you were late! You rushed as best as you could in your heels rushing into Mia's law office. You rushed through the clothed floor before stopping finding it odd the lights were off. Had everyone gone home already? You thought the office didn't fully close till 10 but maybe you had just assumed too much today. She could of let them all go home early! Slowly you walked into the main offices staring at the reception desk before your eyes widened as you smelt, something? Your eyes looked around for a moment before noticing Mia's office door cracked open, the door seemed jimmied. Odd...

You held your breath wondering what was going on here as you took a few steps forward before shakily reaching for the door knob. You felt like you were in a horror movie the suspenseful music playing here as you reached in nothing but dread. Sucking in as much bravery as you could you swung open the door stopping as your eyes widened finding the strange smell had been none other than blood.

Your eyes widened in horror seeing your best friend slumped against the wall, the dim lights in the room barely making her body noticeable but you could see it plan as day. Her shoulders were slumped head tilted down blood pouring from her head staining her hair as her mouth hung open clearly from a heavy hit. It was horrible the sight made you want to vomit, and you didn't have a soft stomach. Then you realized Maya was crying her eyes out next to her deceased sister her hands covering her mouth before she looked up her eyes glistening with her tears as she stared you down before she wailed.

"(Y/N)!! M-Mia!- s-she's!" Her words seemed so jumbled as she choked down sobs clenching her eyes shut as she turned away from you sobbing into her hands now as you just stood in the door your eyes still so wide. No words reached your lips as you watched before you pressed your lips together tears being to wield in your eyes. No, no! It really can't be, there's no way!

"She's-....she's.....she's been....murdered..." you faintly whispered standing there at the doorway with heavy breaths. Mia Fey, has been murdered.