Prologue

Copyright © 2017 quietlava
All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: This is a work of fiction. All names, characters, places, media, brand, and are either the author's imagination or are use fortuitously. This book or any portion thereof may not be reproduced or used in any manner whatsoever without the express written permission of the publisher.

• • •

This story is unedited.

• • •

Prologue

Keep going.

Don't stop.

I chanted the mantra to myself over and over as I let my wolf have full control over my body, and sprinted farther into the dense green forest that surrounded me. I felt completely in my element. The air was was cool, yet calming as it blew against my thick fur. The scent of the damp forest floor of moss, fallen leaves and trees was potent. The sound of the dying leaves dancing in the wind and the pounding of my paws on the earth was music to my ears.

Keep going.

Don't stop.

The aching in my chest seized to exist. I worked my limbs until they felt like jelly and I could collapse at any given moment. I kept going, pushing myself to the sound of the rushing water. I slowed my rapid pace and came to a abrupt halt at the river bank. I dipped my head low for a drink of cool water.

I raised my head from the stream and gazed back at my reflection. My fur under my chin hung straight, dripping with water. I stared back at my reflection as the ripples in the water disappeared. My fur coat was as white as snow and my abnormal yellow eyes as stood out like the sun. I was small for a female wolf, but that never held me back before.

As I gazed longer at myself, the wolf that stared back at me suddenly alternated its appearance. A dark brown wolf, whose fur lighten gradually around its face and belly and down to its legs, stared back at me. I stepped away, and its gold eyes followed my every movement.

Mate.

The word sounded in my head like an ever lasting echo.

Suddenly, the aching pain in my chest came upon me once a again like a tidal wave. I purred in agony as the pain grew. New emotions came over me and I felt overwhelmed. Sadness, hurt, anger, want, and happiness were all going through my mind, some trying to overpower the others.

What is happening? I wondered. What is wrong with me?

The discomfort continued for another few minutes then subsided. My reflection in the water returned and the mysterious brown wolf was gone.

My mind track backwards to the night before when the strange hurt in my chest begun. It was a quarter past seven. I was at the pack house along with my father as he worked on a patient. I tagged along because I was asked to help Alpha Aiden's daughter, Lilia, with her schoolwork.

Lilia and I sat in the dinning room a the gigantic table with our work spread out. Pencils, pens, highlighters, paper, and textbooks covered the surface as we worked.

"Is this right?" Lilia inquired.

I looked over at Lilia as she tucked a lock of hair behind her ear. Lilia Evans was fourteen years old. She had shoulder length dark brown hair like mine and stunning hazel eyes. I was a bit envious on how her eyes seemed to change color from green to a honey brown, and mine remaind the common brown.