Chapter 7

I wake up the next day in my room. Door is locked, but I don't hear any noise downstairs. They must be gone.

I start banging on the bars harder than I have been in the past. Then I hear footsteps running up the stairs and keys jangling.

I quickly put the sledgehammer down and jump back in bed and act like I've been sleeping.

"KIM! What was that noise?!" It was Mystery Man who had come upstairs. Usually it's the woman.

"I don't know. I've been sleeping." He gave me a confused look.

"You mean to tell me that you didn't just hear that loud banging?" I shook my head. He put his hand on his forehead like he was thinking what it could've been.

"Yes, that's what I'm telling you. I'm a deep sleeper, so it takes a lot to wake me up." He didn't say anything after that. He left my room and locked the door.

I let out a huge sigh after he left. So they were sleeping, not out of the house. I need to be more careful next time. If I get caught, who knows what could happen.

I need to get out of here, but I don't know when I will ever have the chance of getting those bars completely down.

I really want some food right now. I could go to my stash of chips and soda.

I go to see how many I have and I think someone has come in and thrown them away because I see none.

I guess they think they're old or something or they got suspicious as to why they were there so they just threw them away.

Oh well. I can live without chips and soda. That's just food that will fatten me up.

I go back and sit on the bed and think for a while as to how I could get out of here another way. I thought for a long time and figured out that there is no other way.

I have to kill them to survive. The woman opens my door and asks me if I want to call my boyfriend. What kind of question is that? Of course I do. I will always want to call my boyfriend.

"Yea." I said, trying to keep my calm as we head towards the only phone in the house. I didn't want to seem too excited because she might change her mind.

I got up and we headed downstairs. We went into the kitchen where the phone was and I saw that they had left the knives out from when they were cooking last night.

That would be too easy though: grabbing a knife and stabbing them. They'd be expecting that.

You would expect someone to do that if it was there in plain sight. I picked up the phone and dialed his work number to see if he was there.

"Hello?" It was the same man that answered last time.

"Hello. I was wondering if Shin-Wa was in today and if he was, I was wondering if I could talk to him." There was a long silence.

The woman gestured to me that she was going to the living room to give me some privacy.

"Have you not watched the news?" The guy had a sound of worry in my voice.

"No because I don't have a TV." Now I had a sound of worry in my voice.

"Well, he went out to eat at his favorite restaurant and something happened in the kitchen and they couldn't stop it and the place burned down. There was no survivors. I'm so sorry for your loss." He said, then hung up the phone.

I started crying like I had never cried before. The woman heard me and came back. When she saw me, I was cutting myself. She immediately took the knife out of my hand.

"What happened, sweetheart?" She was actually being nice and it was starting to scare me. I didn't know what to think, so I stayed quiet for a few minutes.

"I know you hate me, but right now, I need to know what's going on so I can fix this." She said.

"You can't fix what just happened. My boyfriend died." She was shocked.

"I'm so sorry." She said. I went back upstairs crying. I took the sledgehammer to the bars. I didn't care if they heard me this time. I was mad, sad, and ready to die all at the same time.

I can't live without him. He was my everything. And now my everything is gone.

I hit the bars as hard as I could and one of them actually fell off. I picked it up and thought about using it to kill them, but since the woman was being sweet, I can't kill her.

I couldn't find Mystery Man, so I couldn't kill him and I didn't feel like looking, either.

Since my boyfriend is dead and I have no idea where I am and no phone to get me anywhere and nobody is coming to pick me up, I have nothing to live for.

I grabbed the bar and took the sharp point of it and stabbed my stomach as hard as I could.

I felt like I was dying on the inside anyway, so why not just put myself out of my own misery?

The woman came upstairs to find me lying on the floor in a puddle of my own blood with a bar in my stomach.

She was starting to cry. I wasn't completely unconscious yet, so I could see her face.

Then after a few minutes, I went completely unconscious. I couldn't hear or see anything. The best part, I couldn't feel any pain anymore.